Board index Theme Park Discussions Theme Park News & Construction! Magic Mountain adding wooden coaster in 2009

Magic Mountain adding wooden coaster in 2009

Theme Park Construction And News Forum

Post August 26th, 2008, 11:47 pm

Points on hand: 952.00 Points

Post August 26th, 2008, 11:58 pm
jayman Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 3,115.00 Points

wood=good.. add terminator? who cares, we like roller coasters. remember???

Post August 27th, 2008, 12:52 am

Points on hand: 3,780.00 Points
This definitely seems like a good thing for Magic Mountain because they are desperately in need of an exciting woodie. I would leave it to Jayman to make the comparison between a new GCI and Colossus in its early days, but now the GCI would definitely be a nice ride.

Post August 27th, 2008, 1:03 am
Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
I bet it's a clone of Thunderbird. That seems to be the GCI clone of choice.
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Post August 27th, 2008, 3:38 am
hyyyper User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 9,207.00 Points
Being SF it'll most likely be a clone. But why the heck theme it after Terminator....Classic wood themed to a SciFi movie.

That's like theming a Haunted Mansion to the Wizard of Oz

Post August 27th, 2008, 5:41 am

Points on hand: 3,002.00 Points

Whats wrong with sweaping drops and turnarounds? Have you been on ozark wildcat? One of the best woodies ever IMO.

Post August 27th, 2008, 8:02 am

Points on hand: 4,393.00 Points
New wood at Magic Mountain (wood track with steel wheels, that is) will give me a reason to go back. Last time I was in California, I stayed away because they'd torn down Psyclone. I'll be happy to see a new wooden coaster go into the park. Colossus has never performed well for me; I dislike it's current stretched out profile and awful trains. I liked Psyclone when I rode it. Right now, after riding the Ravine Flyer II, I'd personally vote for Gravity Group, but I like the GCI coasters I've ridden.

Post August 27th, 2008, 8:08 am

Points on hand: 2,597.00 Points
What would really be smart if they wanted to make up for taking out Psyclone and Flashback would be to do something like Lightning Racer but it'd be a completely different layout...but they already have Colossus...but it's a neat thought.

Plus you could name one Terminator, and the other Terminator 2...there is your theme.

Post August 27th, 2008, 2:19 pm
jayman Premium Member
Premium Member

Originally posted by hyyyper

Being SF it'll most likely be a clone. But why the heck theme it after Terminator....Classic wood themed to a SciFi movie.

who cares , really , about the theme of a wooden coaster..
wooden coasters have enough class and character that they need absolutely NO theming,

Post August 27th, 2008, 4:25 pm

True...but why not pick a theme that makes more sense if they were to do that???...It just is a little odd.

Post August 27th, 2008, 5:31 pm

Points on hand: 1,435.00 Points

Originally posted by boneplaya

Is there a layout or anything? Anywhere?

Post August 27th, 2008, 7:28 pm
jayman Premium Member
Premium Member

Post August 27th, 2008, 7:46 pm

Considering SF St. Louis just got that layout under another questionable theme choice like the name of a daredevil...if they get this layout at SFMM...it would make sense to pick Terminator as a questionable theme.

Post August 27th, 2008, 7:51 pm
jayman Premium Member
Premium Member

Post August 27th, 2008, 8:30 pm

I didn't mean that in a bad way haha...I love the layout and it looks exciting...I'm just saying it would make sense that Six Flags gets a clone...especially since Magic Mountain has a good handful of them.

Post August 27th, 2008, 8:58 pm
jayman Premium Member
Premium Member

wooden coasters, (traditional wooden coasters) are NEVER clones, that would be impossible, they are hand built, they may use the same plans, but unlike the intamins and steel rides they arent cranked out of a factory and installed, they are specifically built on and for the land they occupy..

Post August 27th, 2008, 9:01 pm

Points on hand: 2,837.21 Points
Bank: 6,969.69 Points

Post August 27th, 2008, 9:20 pm
jayman Premium Member
Premium Member

not really, it's like cars, you can get options., like a fancy radio, or wheel skirts or different color displays,evern different engine options, but esentially it's the same model, all the main parts are made in a factory.. a custom car though, like a hotrod, is completely unique.. sure, there are a gazzillion t buckets, and model "a" coupes, but each of them were built by hand, not in a factory.

Post August 27th, 2008, 9:22 pm

Points on hand: 10,012.00 Points
2x4 wooden boards are easier to handbuild together than feet-wide steel beams.

And these clones are the same. Tiny differences that the land may cause would not be noticed.

Post August 27th, 2008, 10:52 pm

Good point...tiny differences in the placing of the ride may have some effect on supports...but generally speaking...the ride is the same.

Post August 27th, 2008, 11:50 pm

Points on hand: 4,765.00 Points

It was said at Eastcoaster that the only reason they went with the Thunderbird layout for Evel is because they only had something like 3 days to come up with a layout to sign the contract (it's been a while since I've seen the video where they explain it completely). The Thunderbird layout just happened to fit in the site SFSTL wanted to use, so really it wasn't SF just wanting another clone, it was a matter of coincidence and being pressed for time. There is no "clone of choice".

As far as the Terminator theme goes, I've thought it was a joke since it came up. If it isn't, I don't think it will be a big deal at all, probably nothing more than the paint job on the trains and perhaps a few things at the entrance. But I'm sure the ride itself will be very traditional looking, which is a good thing IMO.

Edit: Here's the video explaining it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2F65LZYHSKQ

Post August 28th, 2008, 12:03 am

Points on hand: 2,837.21 Points
Bank: 6,969.69 Points
I don't understand why they were so pressed for time...checking out the video now though.

Post August 28th, 2008, 1:19 am

Points on hand: 2,044.00 Points
Who really cares about the theming? Yes, it does seem a little odd, Terminator on a woodie, but knowing Six Flags, there probably won't be much theming... But the point is, SFMM has had all these huge steel beasts coming out, it'll be nice to see them go and get a nice ol' woodie, clone or not.

Post August 29th, 2008, 2:36 am
hyyyper User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 9,207.00 Points
Originally posted by jayman

Originally posted by hyyyper

who cares , really , about the theme of a wooden coaster..
wooden coasters have enough class and character that they need absolutely NO theming,

I don't care, I share the optinion that wooden coasters shouldn't or dont need to be themed, but IF you theme it, you might as well use a fitting theme

and IF it's going to be a clone they will be the same, they put down a large slab or concrete and use the same anchor points and support blueprints. Trackwork won't be entirely the same, because that's like impossible to do

Post August 29th, 2008, 11:28 am

Points on hand: 2,704.00 Points

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Park News & Construction!