Board index Theme Park Discussions Theme Park News & Construction! Galactic Attack World's First AR VR Coaster at SFNE

Galactic Attack World's First AR VR Coaster at SFNE

Theme Park Construction And News Forum

Whats your thoughts on all of these new VR coasters?

They rock!
15%
They suck!
77%
Whats VR
8%

Total votes : 13

Points on hand: 6,689.00 Points
Having removed the VR experience from their iconic Superman The Ride Intamin mega coaster, Six Flags New England announced that Mind Eraser, the park's Vekoma SLC, is becoming Galactic Attack Virtual Reality Coaster this spring.
This world's first "Mixed Reality Experience" on a roller coaster will combine Augmented Reality using the Samsung Gear VR???s passthrough camera functionality along with virtual content.
The trains are also being outfitted with new restraints to make "a more comfortable, smoother and exhilarating ride experience than ever before".

Pictures are courtesy of SFNE Online (https://www.facebook.com/sfneonline/posts/1273553086015665)

thumb_minderaserne[1].jpg

thumb_minderaserne2[1].jpg

Also according to SNE Online, there will be ANOTHER announcement on March 29th.....Stay tuned!
Drummer, Guitarist, Coaster Enthusiast and a metal head??
126 Credits and counting!
Creator of MK Media on all social media platforms!

Points on hand: 13,491.00 Points
^ I personally think that the "outer space" dogfight will go well with the SLC intensity! I'd be thrilled to experience (What can I say?) another fun factor! This time I'm for their decision.

:lol: Violent Ride! :lol:
Last edited by lol240 on March 16th, 2017, 10:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
-- I was happy to be with NL1 - [:')] --

Points on hand: 5,955.00 Points
First off: Thank f*cking god they're Vekoma
Ok but how desperate you have to be to voluntarily fly from another country to go to Thorpe?

Paradox User avatar

Points on hand: 7,113.00 Points
Bank: 10,198.60 Points
The hell is AR lol.

I'm ecstatic for the new trains though. I'm really happy they're Vekoma.
Coasterkidmwm wrote:
gouldy wrote:
Just don't employ stupid people and you're golden.

That's like finding a Waffle House with no white trash in it.

Points on hand: 5,394.00 Points
Bank: 1,660.00 Points
Paradox wrote:
The hell is AR lol.

I think it's Augmented Reality.
Oh, were you expecting something here?

Points on hand: 6,144.00 Points
Paradox wrote:
The hell is AR lol.

it means they will use the camera on the phone to "augment" the reality, Pokemon go being the first thing that comes to mind. Why they would do this on a inverted coaster, I don't know.
Taron>Helix get mad

Points on hand: 6,689.00 Points
Here's the official press release:

Six Flags New England Debuts Galactic Attack Virtual Reality Coaster: World???s First Mixed Reality Experience
Part of Six Flags and Samsung???s Renewed Collaboration on The Next Generation of Virtual Reality Roller Coasters
Galactic Attack Featured on Coaster Celebrating 20 Years of Thrills

AGAWAM, Massachusetts ??? March 16, 2017 ??? The world???s first mixed reality experience on a VR coaster is coming to Six Flags New England this spring. In partnership with Samsung, the ???Official Technology Partner of Six Flags,??? New England???s largest theme park is once again leading the way in innovation and taking its signature brand of thrills to the next level and beyond in a fully immersive, virtual riding experience on the park???s iconic steel coaster, Mind Eraser.

Mind Eraser celebrates its 20th birthday this season, timed to the launch of Galactic Attack Virtual Reality Coaster. Additionally, the coaster is being outfitted with brand new restraints for a more comfortable, smoother and exhilarating ride experience than ever before.

When riders board the coaster and don their Samsung Gear VR headsets, they will be introduced to the device???s passthrough camera functionality, instantly making riders aware of their surroundings, by allowing them to see the ???real world,??? including the person seated next to them??? along with virtual content. As they get settled into the ride, a heads up display overlay on the passthrough camera view will show data like current status of weaponry, time codes, fuel cells, and a countdown clock. Cresting the lift hill, a massive, swirling wormhole comes into view. As riders drop at high speeds, the mixed reality view changes to a completely immersive, virtual reality environment and a fighter spaceship cockpit materializes and envelops the riders into a tunnel of light. At the bottom of the first hill, riders are launched into the middle of a space battle, coming under attack from flying drones firing lasers and missiles. After swinging through tight channels, narrowly dodging drones and artillery fire, riders are brought into one of three drone bays, each of which offer a completely different gaming experience and three different endings.

Galactic Attack Virtual Reality Coaster will premier to Season Pass holders on April 8 and 9 followed by its grand opening to the public on Monday, April 10.
Attachments
thumb_img_0464_8[1].jpg
Drummer, Guitarist, Coaster Enthusiast and a metal head??
126 Credits and counting!
Creator of MK Media on all social media platforms!

Points on hand: 13,491.00 Points
^ Contents confirmed and good luck to future riders! :)
-- I was happy to be with NL1 - [:')] --

Dirk_Ermen User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 2,175.50 Points
Bank: 45,000.00 Points
I wonder what will decide into which bay you will be pulled. Highscores, rng, position in train or just a set bay for each dispatch.
Coastercount: 1410 (I've seen the world and it's horrid contraptions... @.@)
- Wood: 142
- Steel: 1268

Paradox User avatar

Points on hand: 7,113.00 Points
Bank: 10,198.60 Points
Coasterkidmwm wrote:
gouldy wrote:
Just don't employ stupid people and you're golden.

That's like finding a Waffle House with no white trash in it.

Points on hand: 6,144.00 Points
^aside from the lifthill, when do they use AR? This seems like false advertising
Taron>Helix get mad

Return to Theme Park News & Construction!