Board index Theme Park Discussions Theme Park Meets UK Mini Meet-Up: SW8 opening!

UK Mini Meet-Up: SW8 opening!

Planning a theme park visit? Post it here to organize a theme park meet with other members of the site. You can't go wrong with taking another enthusiast with you!

Post September 26th, 2017, 10:32 am

Points on hand: 1,079.00 Points

COASTERCRAZY.COM UK MINI MEET-UP - WICKER MAN OPENING
March 24 - 26 , 2018
The actual opening date for Alton Towers this year is Saturday 17th March, however, in order to incorporate Thorpe Park and Blackpool Pleasure Beach, the meet-up will take place on the above dates.

SIGN-UP OPEN

Hello!

Welcome to the official CoasterCrazy UK Mini Meet-Up for the (almost) opening of Wicker Man! This mini meet-up is will be consisting of three park visits. On Saturday 24th March, we will be visiting Thorpe Park for their opening weekend; who knows what the safe zone has in store. On Sunday 25th March, we will be visiting Alton Towers to ride the newly opened wooden coaster, Wicker Man. Finally, for those who wish to do so, on Monday 26th March we will be attending Blackpool Pleasure Beach for a fun day of classic thrills and construction watch on Icon, the parks brand new Mack Mega Coaster (if we're really lucky, it might even have opened by then).

While we cannot promise anything we will always try to obtain exclusive perks for those who join our trips and we will constantly keep you updated as to what is in store!.

Now the choice is yours members of CoasterCrazy! Will you be joining us on this mini adventure of good ol' England?

For planning purposes we have a facebook group set up as well as this topic, ask us for more details!

Please find below updated opening hours and important information regarding perks at certain parks (if applicable)!

----------------------------------------

Meeting times and places on the day, as well as perk arrangements will be confirmed at a later date

We are not responsible for transport, hotels, flights, food and such for the meet,
that will be your own responsibility to arrange. We also cannot take
responsibility for anyone under the age of 18 for travel etc.

GREEN name means you
are going on all days

BLUE name means you
are possibly showing up

March 24
Thorpe Park
Park Link

Admission Cost Per Day (ONLINE):-
Child: ??TBA
Adult: ??TBA

Thorpe Park Opening Times:-
10:00 - 18:00
Attendee List (12)
Turbo - Seth
Metazoanhaddock - Dan
Gouldy - Dan
mkingy - Matt
JAMMY - James
herman116 - Herman
postwagen - Martijn
PvM

DanSm1l3r - Dan
djd711 - Dave . Virtual Towers Online
isn2011 - Jordan . Virtual Towers Online
Calebgill2004

March 25
Alton Towers
Park Link

Child: from ??27.50
Adult: from ??33.00

Alton Towers Opening Times:-
10:00 - 17:00 (TBC)
Attendee List (13)
Turbo - Seth
Metazoanhaddock - Dan
Gouldy - Dan
mkingy - Matt
JAMMY - James
herman116 - Herman
postwagen - Martijn
PvM

DanSm1l3r - Dan
Calebgill2004
Skyscraper - Matthew

March 26
Blackpool Pleasure Beach
Park Link

Child: ??TBA
Adult: ??TBA

Blackpool Pleasure Beach Opening Times:-
11:00 - At least 17:00
Attendee List (11)
Turbo - Seth
Metazoanhaddock - Dan
Gouldy - Dan
mkingy - Matt
JAMMY - James
herman116 - Herman
postwagen - Martijn
PvM

Calebgill2004
Last edited by DanSm1l3r on February 2nd, 2018, 11:32 am, edited 4 times in total.

Post September 26th, 2017, 10:42 am

Points on hand: 0.00 Points
Bank: 15,018.00 Points
If i can go, I'd love to!
(I signed up for updates on the SW8 website, which means i could be one of the first riders- don't think I'll win, though)
Please put me down as "possible".

Post September 27th, 2017, 3:03 am
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 2,723.00 Points
Bank: 25,088.00 Points

Post September 28th, 2017, 8:44 pm
Turbo User avatar

Points on hand: 5,506.00 Points
Bank: 21,857.68 Points

Yeah I'm going.
Coaster Count: 582 // Top Five: 1. Helix 2. Nemesis 3. Big Bad Wolf 4. Boulder Dash 5. Balder

Coasterkidmwm wrote:
4 G's to the taint was a bit much for me because I'm not a power bottom like Turbo

Post September 30th, 2017, 2:43 am

Post September 30th, 2017, 11:26 pm
Metazoanhaddock User avatar

Points on hand: 3,282.00 Points
Bank: 52,337.00 Points
3 dans huh?

this should be fun......
Head Moderator
Director, Structural Engineer - PEAK Amusements
Site Contest Judge (Supporting)
Chatroom Admin

gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 2,723.00 Points
Bank: 25,088.00 Points

I've been called Gould my entire life by basically everyone I know, so you and Dan can fight between yourselves as to who actually gets to be called Dan :lol:

Apparently the park were giving out half price vouchers for the 2018 season at the turnstiles today, and the terms state that the vouchers are "valid between 17/03/18 and 21/05/18", which implies that the park will open on Saturday 17th March 2017.

I got one of these vouchers myself, I can confirm that's the case, plus I have it on very good word that SW8 is 100% on track for a 'start of season' opening, even got lucky enough to walk through the site (in a way) on Saturday night after the show! Obviously season's over now but I already can't wait for next March!

Post November 16th, 2017, 11:13 am

Points on hand: 893.00 Points
Ill be going on the opening day, so far its a definite so put me down as going ''if i can go your choice'' but i'm only going to Alton Towers not Thorpe, if i don't show up it means I've died

Points on hand: 893.00 Points

herman116 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 7,471.00 Points
Maybe I will also come since it's been a couple of years since my last visit to Alton Towers. I'm just still not sure how to get there. Are there other people who are also planning to come here from outside of the UK? And how are you guys going to the park?

What the plan is so far (we'll be sorting the specifics out closer to the time) is that Seth and Meta will be either staying with me at my place (I live only 25 mins from Towers) or, and this is my preferred tactic, we'll be booking one of the Enchanted Village lodges, since they're amongst the cheapest accommodation on resort, they're really lovely, and my Merlin Annual Pass will get us a discount on it. Should anyone else from outside the UK also want to book on-resort accommodation just hit me up and I can try help catch a discount for you as well.

mkingy User avatar

Points on hand: 28,048.00 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points
herman116 wrote:
Maybe I will also come since it's been a couple of years since my last visit to Alton Towers. I'm just still not sure how to get there. Are there other people who are also planning to come here from outside of the UK? And how are you guys going to the park?

I'll have a spare seat in my car to ferry you around - depends on where you'd be flying into as to the best way to get to Birmingham however. I *might* have a spare bed too but we're planning to move house before then so I have no idea what might be around the corner. I'll still be in Birmingham though. Drop me a pm/facebook message and can work out the best way to get over if you're interested!
Coaster Count - 198
France 2019 Mini Trip Report

herman116 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Thanks for the offers!

I'm still not sure whether I will come by boat and my own car or by plane. I also want to go Thorpe park the second day. Are many of you going to that park? Or is it better to come by boat and my own car so it will be easier for my to travel to Thorpe park?

mkingy User avatar

Again I plan to drive to Thorpe Park for the second day and you'd be more than welcome - however having your own car obviousely gives you more freedom.
Coaster Count - 198

herman116 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Thanks for the offer! It would be nice if I could sleep at you're house but maybe it's better to just book an enchanted village lodge so I know for sure I have a place to sleep. ;) I see that there's a really cheap flight going for me to Manchester airport which seems to be in the right direction so I'll probably do that.

herman116 wrote:
Thanks for the offer! It would be nice if I could sleep at you're house but maybe it's better to just book an enchanted village lodge so I know for sure I have a place to sleep. ;) I see that there's a really cheap flight going for me to Manchester airport which seems to be in the right direction so I'll probably do that.

How will you get from the Airport to the Park? According to Google Maps it's just over an hour by car/taxi, but Google Maps can't calculate a public transport route :? .

herman116 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

I also see that now... According to Alton Towers it should be possible to go there by public transport:

The three closest train stations are Stoke-on-Trent, Uttoxeter and Derby. A bus service will need to be used for the rest of the journey.

mkingy User avatar

herman116 wrote:

Having spoken with the other half we're definitely looking at somewhere with a spare bedroom anyway so I'm pretty sure we can accommodate you!

Manchester isn't too far from Alton / Birmingham. Alton is possible to get public transport to, but not advisable if possible - (I know Dan usually get's a taxi from Stoke). To be honest the UK is generally rubbish for public transport. Thinking about it Blackpool is only 1hr away from Manchester so I might take Friday off and make a long coaster weekend of it! Depends on what time your flights would be due to land :)
Coaster Count - 198

It's probably worth mentioning here as it has been in the FB chat we're using to organise the event, it seems we may be pushing back this meetup by a week, so we can get Thorpe Park's opening weekend in as well. That being said, anyone nearby or planning to go to SW8's opening day anyway is more than welcome to join us on the 17th as it is. On top of that, pushing the meet back can act as a fail-safe should SW8 not open on the first day of the season.

herman116 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

mkingy wrote:
herman116 wrote:

Having spoken with the other half we're definitely looking at somewhere with a spare bedroom anyway so I'm pretty sure we can accommodate you!

Manchester isn't too far from Alton / Birmingham. Alton is possible to get public transport to, but not advisable if possible - (I know Dan usually get's a taxi from Stoke). To be honest the UK is generally rubbish for public transport. Thinking about it Blackpool is only 1hr away from Manchester so I might take Friday off and make a long coaster weekend of it! Depends on what time your flights would be due to land :)

Thanks for the offer! :)

If I choose the flight from the airport which is pretty near to me, I will arrive to late for a day at blackpool. However, I can go to an airport in Belgium which would take me some extra time to drive to and get a flight which departs but then I will arrive at 7.25 on the friday. Too bad the departure from Manchester of this flight will be at 7.50 so it might be difficult to go to the airport so early in the morning.

herman116 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Is the meeting date definite on 17 March so I can book my plane tickets?

JAMMY User avatar
Event Coordinator
Event Coordinator

Points on hand: 5,820.00 Points
@herman116: This meet-up is now taking place on Saturday 24th March for Alton Towers and Sunday 25th March for Thorpe Park. This is due to Thorpe Park not opening for the season until the week after Alton does! :)
Favourite Park 2016:Still LISEBERG (mmm... HELIX)
Favourite Ride 2016: Still HELIX (at night)

Steam: JAMMYD777
https://twitter.com/JAMMYD778
https://www.youtube.com/JAMMYD778

PvM User avatar

Points on hand: 8,245.00 Points

I'm also considering tagging along. I've never been to any park in the UK so this would be a good oppertunity to finally get to it. I'd also have to come from the Netherlands.

Next

Return to Theme Park Meets