Board index Theme Park Discussions Theme Park News & Construction! Roar at Discovery Kingdom Closing on August 16th

Roar at Discovery Kingdom Closing on August 16th

Theme Park Construction And News Forum

Paradox User avatar

Points on hand: 7,113.00 Points
Bank: 10,198.60 Points
At this point it's getting annoying. Six Flags is just closing a lot of coasters for the I-box and I really feel like this and Colossus should not have happened.

SFDK also just lost its only wooden coaster too.
Coasterkidmwm wrote:
gouldy wrote:
Just don't employ stupid people and you're golden.

That's like finding a Waffle House with no white trash in it.

Points on hand: 13,491.00 Points
I don't think Colossus made a bad decision. :(
-- I was happy to be with NL1 - [:')] --

Points on hand: 1,155.00 Points
I have nothing against having an RMC somewhat close to me, but Roar wasn't even that bad when I rode it last year. It's very weird that they chose this wooden coaster out of all the the older woodies in the chain. Oh well.

Paradox User avatar

lol240 wrote:
I don't think Colossus made a bad decision. :(

It wasn't bad but Colossus was probably the only one in the current list of I-boxes that I would consider "classic" It would have been better if they added topper track and put the original double down back imo because with TC they lost like half of each side.
Coasterkidmwm wrote:
gouldy wrote:

Points on hand: 4,033.00 Points
Look, nobody gave two rat turds about Roar before (or Colossus for that matter). They were never, ever talked about. All people knew was that they both sucked. Now suddenly everyone cares about them because the parks chose to make them better? I feel like the people who say they didn't need to be made better steel coasters, haven't had to suffer through them for years. These rides will go from floundering in the lower half of people top 100 rides, to near the top.

SFDK can always add a much better designed wooden coaster at a later date.

#Side note. Roar will be the last SF/RMC conversion.
Intamin: The Force Awakens.

Dirk_Ermen User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 2,175.50 Points
Bank: 45,000.00 Points
Manic Monte wrote:
Look, nobody gave two rat turds about Roar before (or Colossus for that matter). They were never, ever talked about. All people knew was that they both sucked.

I've pretty much always cared about SFDK's Roar. Out of the shitload of GCI's I've ridden it's still near the top of my rankings.

SFA's Roar on the other hand is near the bottom of my overall wooden rankings. (Somewhere at the 85th spot :lol: ) Hence I don't understand the reason for Six Flags to convert the better model out of the 2. Not only it would have spread RMC more around USA but it would improve the worst ride out of the 2 idential rides.
Even though this opinion is based on my ride experiences from 2008 and 2010, I'm not sure how both rides compare now-a-days. But seeing how GCI's age with millenium flyers vs PTC's, it seems only obvious that SFA's Roar is still in the worst state out of the 2 coasters.
Coastercount: 1410 (I've seen the world and it's horrid contraptions... @.@)
- Wood: 142
- Steel: 1268

Points on hand: 4,800.70 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points

Someone pointed this out on TPR but if someone walked up to you and your average Toyota Corolla with nothing wrong with it, but pretty "meh" and asked if you wanted to trade it for a brand new BMW, i'm pretty sure you wouldn't say no.
It's been a long time
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCErEzTkqrD55UEiIiiKsKmg

Dirk_Ermen User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 2,175.50 Points
Bank: 45,000.00 Points
Coaster Hero wrote:
Someone pointed this out on TPR but if someone walked up to you and your average Toyota Corolla with nothing wrong with it, but pretty "meh" and asked if you wanted to trade it for a brand new BMW, i'm pretty sure you wouldn't say no.

Yes, but if you have 2 of the same Toyota Corolla's. One in decent condition and the other one in crap condition.
I'm pretty sure you would trade the worst ride out of the 2.
Coastercount: 1410 (I've seen the world and it's horrid contraptions... @.@)
- Wood: 142
- Steel: 1268

Mediocre, forgettable wood coaster vs RMC airtime machine., I'm choosing the RMC ten times out of ten.

I don't hear anyone out in New England complaining, and I know darn well they wouldn't trade Wicked Cyclone for Roar.

Paradox User avatar

Yes but there are times when the conversion does not need to happen at all. Rides like Mean Streak would benefit greatly whereas some rides like Roar would be fine with just topper track. I'm happy this will be the last SF conversion because it would have become just plain ridiculous if they end up doing one per park.

Are you seriously saying that Colossus is forgettable? Colossus was iconic. I remember seeing it in RCT2 and looking up videos of it and being amazed by the structure and trains racing each other.

Also I actually hate when CCI's close down as they are my favorite wooden coaster company. Sometimes wooden coasters are just better than steel coasters as steel coasters always have a sense of "control" to them.
Coasterkidmwm wrote:
gouldy wrote:

Paradox wrote:
Yes but there are times when the conversion does not need to happen at all. Rides like Mean Streak would benefit greatly whereas some rides like Roar would be fine with just topper track. I'm happy this will be the last SF conversion because it would have become just plain ridiculous if they end up doing one per park.

Are you seriously saying that Colossus is forgettable? Colossus was iconic. I remember seeing it in RCT2 and looking up videos of it and being amazed by the structure and trains racing each other.

Also I actually hate when CCI's close down as they are my favorite wooden coaster company. Sometimes wooden coasters are just better than steel coasters as steel coasters always have a sense of "control" to them.

Visually impressive and iconic for sure. But with all of the modifications over the years, it was a downright snoozer at the end. This is what people who weren't riding it do not get. Yes, looking at pictures of it on line, it looked majestic. But you don't just look at roller coasters, you ride them. And with the added trims and constant re tracking, the ride was a mess. Even RMC were in wonder as to how the lift hill structure held up as long as it did. It needed a change. Just a much as Texas Giant, just as much as Rattler.

Wood coasters are wonderful, but sometimes they are just poorly built and don't have as long a shelf life as other wooden coasters. add in Six Flags complete ineptness for maintaining them, and it's no wonder a lot of them were in the condition they were.

Paradox User avatar

Yea I get your opinion and I respect it even though I disagree with some of it.

I am against Ghostrider getting I-boxed though. With some topper track and fewer trims it could be running amazingly well again.
Coasterkidmwm wrote:
gouldy wrote:

Paradox wrote:

I am against Ghostrider getting I-boxed though. With some topper track and fewer trims it could be running amazingly well again.

I don't disagree with this. But Ghostrider also belongs to a company capable of throwing some serious money into it. Cedar Fair hasn't added a big budget coaster to Knotts in almost a decade. If Ghostrider is their next project like I suspect it is, look for it to be done at a level that Six Flags could never...
Last edited by Manic Monte on July 20th, 2015, 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paradox User avatar

Manic Monte wrote:
Paradox wrote:

I don't disagree with this. But Ghostrider also belongs to a company capable of throwing some serious money into it.

True that.

To be honest some things the Six Flags corporation does utterly disgusts me. If I could make them change I would but they sadly don't care about enthusiasts as much as they do about getting more GP and draining more money from them.
Coasterkidmwm wrote:
gouldy wrote:

This Jim Anderson or whatever his name is, is the worst thing to happy to that company ever. I'm not kidding. I'm not even talking about the RMC conversions which is the one thing he's approved that I actually agree with. but the cutting of corners, shortening coaster track layouts and forcing maintenance crews to work on a shoestring budget to save a few pennies annoys the hell out of me.

But shareholders love him, because he'll bring them a profit no matter what, even if it means adding carnival rides to every park and calling them major investments. I can't wait till his reign ends.
Last edited by Manic Monte on July 20th, 2015, 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paradox User avatar

Yea Jim Reid Anderson is gross.

I also hate Six Flags for basically stripping SFNE of practically all of its flats. I still don't understand the park's reasoning to remove Catapult. They could honestly put it in Twister's old spot if they wanted to and now the only operating Sky Swat is at Thorpe Park.
Coasterkidmwm wrote:
gouldy wrote:

Oh yeah... Just wait till you get to SFMM and see literally NOTHING but roller coasters. You'll appreciate the few that you have at SFNE. Once again, the mentality of the leaders of the company is they don't want to staff flat rides or spend the money to keep them running. Better not to have any at all.

Think about it. What is the REAL reason the Larson Loops are being advertised as roller coasters?

So glad I don't work for that company anymore.
Last edited by Manic Monte on July 20th, 2015, 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paradox User avatar

Non-chain parks are always the best.
Coasterkidmwm wrote:
gouldy wrote:

rcking04 wrote:
GCI coasters sucked until 2003. Oh, well ??\_(???)_/??

Agreed. Gwazi, The Roar twins and Wildcat are all terrible, and I wouldn't wish them on anyone.

Points on hand: 6,337.00 Points
This amount of faux-privledged butthurt in this thread is legendary.

Paradox User avatar

Manic Monte wrote:
rcking04 wrote:
GCI coasters sucked until 2003. Oh, well ??\_(???)_/??

Agreed. Gwazi, The Roar twins and Wildcat are all terrible, and I wouldn't wish them on anyone.

I love Gwazi and Wildcat's layouts. All they really need is some topper track and a lot of TLC and they'll be fine.

Gwazi might be in too bad shape to be fixed right now though.
Coasterkidmwm wrote:
gouldy wrote:

Points on hand: 227.00 Points
Bank: 11,457.10 Points
Paradox wrote:
Non-chain parks are always the best.

Not always...
*Cough* Mt. Olympus *Cough*
All hail your great Arrow Dynamics overlords.

Points on hand: 13,491.00 Points
^ Then carnival ride parks are always the ____ (insert your thoughts)? ;)
-- I was happy to be with NL1 - [:')] --

Paradox User avatar

Well today was Roar's last day.

RIP
Coasterkidmwm wrote:
gouldy wrote:

Paradox User avatar

And Roar is now closed forever.
Coasterkidmwm wrote:
gouldy wrote:

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Park News & Construction!