Board index Theme Park Discussions Theme Park News & Construction! Roar at Discovery Kingdom Closing on August 16th

Roar at Discovery Kingdom Closing on August 16th

Theme Park Construction And News Forum

VF15 User avatar
News Writer
News Writer

Points on hand: 10,818.00 Points
This video was just posted on Six Flags Discovery Kingdom's YouTube channel announcing that Roar will be permanently closing on August 16th. I think this pretty much confirms that Roar is getting RMC'd.

Points on hand: 7,295.00 Points
RMC will do its job hopefully it will add a lot of airtime instead of doing inversions

Dirk_Ermen User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 2,175.50 Points
Bank: 45,000.00 Points
Kinda sucks that this one leaves. This was the best ride out of the 2 roar clones. I'd rather see the roar in SFA getting RMC'ed
Coastercount: 1410 (I've seen the world and it's horrid contraptions... @.@)
- Wood: 142
- Steel: 1268

Points on hand: 4,800.70 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points

Welp, that basically confirms it. I agree with Dirk, the SFA version should have been RMC'd instead, but I'm sure RMC is going to do significant things with this layout. SFDK has been getting small attractions and have been slowly developing into a good park, but an RMC will definitely get them on the radar as a great park

^^Inversions on RMC coasters feel less forced than on other coasters. They manage to just make them belong where they are and they fit in with the experience. RMC layouts have a nice flow to them, they know what they're doing!
It's been a long time
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCErEzTkqrD55UEiIiiKsKmg

slosprint User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 5,728.00 Points
I feel like GCI feels bad right now. Like they are right there. Pick up the phone and call them. Ask them to make the ride better or something, they did it with Boulder Dash, I'm sure if you just asked they'd do it with roar as well.
Boulder Dash was the only good roller coaster.

"or if you're when the hydraulic fluid was dumped out of the motor is goes 200ft up the tower and is like "LOL nope"" - CKMWM 2016

Points on hand: 4,033.00 Points
SFDK is also pressed for space. So an RMC gives them a brand new coaster without taking out a bunch of stuff to place it.

And forget it, Kong isn't going anywhere. The GP loves it.
Last edited by Manic Monte on July 16th, 2015, 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Intamin: The Force Awakens.

Paradox User avatar

Points on hand: 7,113.00 Points
Bank: 10,198.60 Points
Wouldn't this be the first RMC of a coaster made by a company that's still in business?

Poor GCI.
Coasterkidmwm wrote:
gouldy wrote:
Just don't employ stupid people and you're golden.

That's like finding a Waffle House with no white trash in it.

Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
deere839 wrote:
RMC will do its job hopefully it will add a lot of airtime instead of doing inversions

It's a GCI it's kinda hard for RMC to not end up with a result that has more airtime than one of those.
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

slosprint User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

This is the part where I say that every post-2003 GCI has been decent or really good and then you start going on about Roar and the Hershey Coasters, both of which are pre-2003.

"or if you're when the hydraulic fluid was dumped out of the motor is goes 200ft up the tower and is like "LOL nope"" - CKMWM 2016

Points on hand: 5,394.00 Points
Bank: 1,660.00 Points
GCI coasters sucked until 2003. Oh, well ??\_(???)_/??
Oh, were you expecting something here?

Points on hand: 7,295.00 Points
Coasterkidmwm wrote:
deere839 wrote:

It's a GCI it's kinda hard for RMC to not end up with a result that has more airtime than one of those.

you never know what rmc has up its sleeves

slosprint User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

deere839 wrote:
you never know what rmc has up its sleeves

red track and someone banging their head against a g-force slider?

Points on hand: 5,889.00 Points
slosprint wrote:
This is the part where I say that every post-2003 GCI has been decent or really good and then you start going on about Roar and the Hershey Coasters, both of which are pre-2003.

We need a "like" button just for this post...
American Eagle Lover

Points on hand: 2,652.00 Points
Bank: 2,739.00 Points

I actually found Roar quite forceful, had a few pops of air and the laterals were insane. I also like the way the first drop appears to plummet you into guests entering the park then curves to follow along the entrance pathway. Kind of a thrilling welcome to incoming guests.
"if you found your laughin' place, how come you ain't laughin'."https://www.facebook.com/calicoaster1/

Points on hand: 4,657.00 Points
Bank: 6,667.00 Points
slosprint wrote:

I actually really enjoy Lightning Racer, its pretty good in the front seat, wildcat though, I hope they retrack soon, especially with GCI HQ only an hour or so away, I feel like the company should know the hershey coasters best of all their creations
What are these for?

Points on hand: 13,491.00 Points
I love GCI's tricky turns at the second or third highest spot. Those parts will be overbanked for a constant high speed, if "Roar" really gets RMC'ed. :)
-- I was happy to be with NL1 - [:')] --

First off, 2 RMCs in California? Yay. Secondly, I cannot wait to see what they do with this awesome little twister design. Roar to me was always a good, not great wooden coaster. And from what I've heard, an absolute bitch to keep running smoothly. Now, this could be RMCs grand finale when it's announced, and it will be great to see all eyes on this terrific little thrill/animal park which will finally get it's marquee ride.

Points on hand: 10,012.00 Points
A GCI RMC should be interesting.
1-Millennium Force | 2-Intimidator 305 | 3-Fury 325
4-Skyrush | 5-Iron Rattler | 6-X2 | 7-Kingda Ka
8-Voyage | 9-Maverick | 10-Monster

Points on hand: 9,972.00 Points
Paradox wrote:
Wouldn't this be the first RMC of a coaster made by a company that's still in business?

Well GCI may as well not be in business right now and it wouldn't matter. :twisted:
(jk)
mkingy wrote:
Yoda was famously quoted as saying:

Yoda wrote:
Free the Orcas, you must
Sith will prevail, otherwise

Fluorometholone

Points on hand: 15,383.90 Points
I feel bad for GCI. I wonder if RMC will ever make all other wooden manufacturers go out of business.

Paradox User avatar

Points on hand: 7,113.00 Points
Bank: 10,198.60 Points
SkyArrow wrote:
I feel bad for GCI. I wonder if RMC will ever make all other wooden manufacturers go out of business.

GG might go out in America but they are currently dominating the market in China.
Coasterkidmwm wrote:
gouldy wrote:
Just don't employ stupid people and you're golden.

That's like finding a Waffle House with no white trash in it.

SkyArrow wrote:

I don't think so. The RMC craze will cool after everyone has one, just like everything else. And then parks will be looking for the next big thing. I do think that "low maintenance" woodies are here to stay though. Other manufacturers will need to sell a product that is easier to keep running as it begins to age. Large corporate parks are looking to majorly cut those costs.

coolbeans326 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 6,184.00 Points

rcking04 wrote:
GCI coasters sucked until 2003. Oh, well ??\_(???)_/??

GCI's always run really good the first couple seasons then turn into mediocre rides that aren't bad by any means but not up to the level of well maintained CCI's, or Voyage.

I went on Kentucky Rumbler recently and airtime was essentially non-existent. I haven't heard the best things about Apocalypse at SFMM recently either. They're not bad rides, but they kind of blend into the mold of being just another ride rather than a marquee attraction.

This will for sure be a stand out experience and will be something unique for years to come. Glad to get another top level coaster on the west coast

Points on hand: 13,491.00 Points
Maybe "Roar" is the first woodie with a wooden roof in the high speed section. Different from Ghostrider with the same item placed on the upper part of the first drop. :)
-- I was happy to be with NL1 - [:')] --

Points on hand: 4,800.70 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points

I rode the SFA version today and though I haven't ridden the SFDK one I must say that it's really not that bad. It's definitely rough, but it does have some airtime and great lats with a good drop. RMC'ing it wouldn't be a necessity like on the other wooden coasters, but at least NorCal is getting a world class ride now.
It's been a long time
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCErEzTkqrD55UEiIiiKsKmg

Next

Return to Theme Park News & Construction!