Board index Public Relations Contests [NL tournament] Round 1: No Limits Hyper

[NL tournament] Round 1: No Limits Hyper

Only official CoasterCrazy.com Contests are posted here.

Post February 14th, 2004, 6:35 pm

Points on hand: 3,039.00 Points

Story
The SFMM management wasn??????t pleased with CP building such a huge ride as TTD and now they want to strike back. They are planning to build a huge new hyper coaster for the 2006 season. It does not have to beat TTD in height, it has to beat it in adrenaline and that is not an easy target. SFMM is not looking for a launched ride like TTD, they want an Intamin hyper coaster like MF but it should floor it. MF must be a laugh compared to this insane ride they are planning to build.
There is just one problem?????? the Intamin design team is busy on other rides so that means they won??????t be able to get the design done by 2006. Now it is up to you to design a stunning layout which will kick MF ass. Note: The is a fictional story and SFMM will not build it, this is for making it fun.

Hello everyone, welcome to round one of the No Limits tournament. You probably already got an idea of what you have to do in this round if you look at the name.
The main objective in this round is building a Hyper coaster, but not one with a small template or lot??????s of rules. (almost) No Limits.

Maybe sounds easy but there are some rules. The ride has to be at least 60m (197 ft) high. This way you??????ll be able to show off your support skills but also managing higher speeds is harder. Also the fact that the hyper track style has limited moves this test will require real skill. The ride has to be realistic and must be filled with adrenaline from top to bottom.

The rules:

• Track style must be Intamin hyper (named hyper coaster in NL)

• The track must be at least 60m (197 ft) high.

• G Forces may not go into red at any place.

• You must use a lifthill, or an angled launch (as seen on ??????Incredible Hulk at Universal Studios Islands of Adventure) Only one lift or launch allowed.

• Coaster must run with 3 or more trains.

• Trains must have 7 or more cars.

• When making a dueling track you can use 2 lifts or launches or 1 lift and 1 launch.

• You may not submit old tracks. (this means you have to create a new track for this contest and not just take an old design of yours which fits the rules)

• All NL tools are allowed, including the terraformer.

• Shuttle coasters are not allowed.

• There is no template, this means you can use all the space you??????d like to use.

• Submit your track at gforceaddict@coastercrazy.com

• Deadline: 1st of March 23:59 GMT (= 18:59 EST)

Who will you be facing?

In round one you??????ll be in a battle of three. This means it is a 1vs.1vs.1 competition. The winner of each group will advance to the next round.

Group 1
  • whitewolf2759

• shortkid422

• The Edge

Group 2
  • Bino Maus

• WeeWeeSlap

• Matt

Group 3
  • coaster992001

• tarzanman11514

• lpth5
  • Taken by montu(3)

Group 4
  • rob22

• sam laming

• Buster

Group 5
  • Reedo Uqueanum

• ScarletFire

• Screamomatic

Group 6
  • MFkiDD30

• cjd

• coasterke

Group 7
  • skullkeeperz

• bockzilla

• GRIM

Group 8
  • Coasterkidmwm

• thecool326

• Hansixx
  • (only got raw file working)

Reserves
  • XMillenia

• jan

• IntaminFan397

• montu
  • (3)

• SMer

• dejavu

• BROK1

• Coaster individual

Green: Track recieved
Red: The person dropped out
Orange: Problem with file
White: Waiting for track
Number in brackets: number of times I recieved a trackfile

So what are the reserves for?
If you are a reserve you also have to build and submit a track. When someone drops out from the normal competition your track will jump in. If your track wins, you??????ll stay in the main contest and proceed to the next round.

Example: WeeWeeSlap drops out from group 2. This means a reserve will jump in.

The reserve that submitted his track the fastest will jump in.

Example: I received two tracks, first one from SMer at March 26 and I received a second track from Coaster Individual, this means SMer will fill up the gap that WeeWeeSlap left for him.

If you submit your track as a reserve there is a chance that there won??????t be a gap for it. I think there will occur some gaps in round one so the chance you are doing it for nothing is quite small.
If there isn??????t a gap for your track you will get a in detail review.

Tip: This tutorial might come in handy:
coastercrazy.com users click here and CoasterCrazy.com users click here

Questions & Answers

Q: "G Forces may not go into red at any place." -and red starts on my Comp at 6.8g vert. at 1.5 lat and 1.8 neg. vert. ... ;)
A: The exact forces are:
Vert.: -2G / + 5.5G
Lat.: -2G / + 2G
Acc: -3G / + 5G
These are the red limits, so that means the forces on the riders should stay below these values.

Q: Also, when you say Hyper, is that no inversions?
A: Inversions are allowed, but the amount of inversions is limited to 4

Q: does it have to be compact or big
A: No Limits! That?????s up to you, but it has to be at least 60m tall.

Q: when you say you can terraform it, does the terraforming have to be simmilar to the land in and around sfmm or can it be in a jungle or something??
A: No, you can do with the terrain whatever you like, but keep in mind we are building realistic coasters here, so don't do anything to crazy.

Q: If we use terrain, does it still have to go 197ft. off the ground or can we just make the lift height 197+ft.
A: The lifthill has to be at least 197ft. high from terrain level. So if your ground is level is 30 ft. then the lift has to go up 227 ft.

Q: Is it allowed to create 3ds-Objects? [:)]
A: Yup, but keep it FPS friendly [^]

Q: What banking is considered an inversion?
A: As soon as your banking goes over 140 degrees it will be considered as an inversion.

Q: I've got a question, the rules say we can have an angled launch like hulk, can we make that angle 90 degrees therefore vertical?
A: No, the point if the angled launch is that people have a long way up in the sky to support. So people have to show their support skills and a vertical launch is also quite unrealistic...

Post February 14th, 2004, 6:56 pm

Everyone probably recieved the email to announce this first round. But it looks like I messed up the font color. I had it on white in my new message window, but when it was sent and i looked in my sent items folder it turned black [confused]

Anyway, apologies for that [:p] but if you are reading this that should mean it worked out anyway [^]

Post February 14th, 2004, 7:36 pm

Points on hand: 3,503.00 Points
Sorry.....

"G Forces may not go into red at any place." -and red starts on my Comp at 6.8g vert. at 1.5 lat and 1.8 neg. vert. ... ;)

So, any numbers on this?

Also, when you say Hyper, is that no inversions?

Buster.

Post February 14th, 2004, 7:39 pm

Points on hand: 1,051.00 Points
so the coaster may be a coaster with inversions right..it just has to be that tall and intamin hyper style?

Post February 14th, 2004, 8:05 pm

Points on hand: 2,083.00 Points

Post February 14th, 2004, 8:18 pm

Points on hand: 4,230.00 Points
when you say you can terraform it, does the terraforming have to be simmilar to the land in and around sfmm or can it be in a jungle or something??

Post February 14th, 2004, 8:30 pm

To answer some questions:

Q: "G Forces may not go into red at any place." -and red starts on my Comp at 6.8g vert. at 1.5 lat and 1.8 neg. vert. ... ;)
A: I got to find out the standard NL G force configuration first, can't find my old environmental tool anymore, it used to display that. Force limits are about what you said, only vert limit is somewhere around 5.5 or 6 i believe. I'll give the precise values as soon as i manage to find them...

Q: Also, when you say Hyper, is that no inversions?
A: Inversions are allowed, but the amount of inversions is limited to 4

Q: does it have to be compact or big
A: No Limits! That?????????s up to you, but it has to be at least 60m tall.

Q: when you say you can terraform it, does the terraforming have to be simmilar to the land in and around sfmm or can it be in a jungle or something??
A: No, you can do with the terrain whatever you like, but keep in mind we are building realistic coasters here, so don't do anything to crazy.

Post February 14th, 2004, 9:05 pm
cjd

Points on hand: 4,718.00 Points

Wow, I'm impressed. we finally get to completely express ourselves, with No Limits! I'm hoping that my hypercoaster skills are still up to calliber. (I.E. "Vertical Xtreme" and "Apocalypse"... not that crappy MAO coaster...) As usual, I will probably try to give updates on some of the things I am doing. If at any time anybody wants me to quit speculating, just tell me to shut up.

Post February 14th, 2004, 9:21 pm
GRIM.657 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 5,299.00 Points

great, i stink at nolimits and i have to beat bockzilla in the first round[:(]

<<GRIM>>
?????????copyright 2188, GRIM

Post February 14th, 2004, 10:05 pm

Points on hand: 4,391.00 Points
Can we use a lift to move the train into possition for a lunch?

Post February 14th, 2004, 10:31 pm
bockzilla User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 140.00 Points

Originally posted by GRIM

great, i stink at nolimits and i have to beat bockzilla in the first round[:(]

<<GRIM>>

Thanks for the vote of confidence but I do not do hypers that well so you have a very good chance of beating me!

Post February 14th, 2004, 11:25 pm
GRIM.657 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Do you consider a -149 degree banked turn an inversion[?]

<<GRIM>>

Post February 15th, 2004, 12:09 am

Points on hand: 3,307.00 Points

If we use terrain, does it still have to go 197ft. off the ground or can we just make the lift height 197+ft.

Post February 15th, 2004, 12:18 am

My Layout is done... Now I just need the real numbers for the maximum forces I can pull. Want to start adding supports as soon as possible.

Oh... That babyride "Millenium Force" IS a laugh. [redsmoke]

Buster

Post February 15th, 2004, 7:16 am

Originally posted by IntaminFan397

If we use terrain, does it still have to go 197ft. off the ground or can we just make the lift height 197+ft.

The lifthill has to be at least 197ft. high from terrain level. So if your ground is level is 30 ft. then the lift has to go up 227 ft.

Orignally posted by Buster

My Layout is done... Now I just need the real numbers for the maximum forces I can pull. Want to start adding supports as soon as possible.

Oh... That babyride "Millenium Force" IS a laugh. [redsmoke]

Buster

sounds good [pshades]

The exact forces are:
Vert.: -2G / + 5.5G
Lat.: -2G / + 2G
Acc: -3G / + 5G

These are the red limits, so that means the forces on the riders should stay below these values.

Post February 15th, 2004, 9:43 am

Points on hand: 3,321.00 Points

Post February 15th, 2004, 10:48 am

Points on hand: 2,560.00 Points
good question, Bino Maus. I think 3ds would be cool, but only as long as they don't devastate the fps (that should lead to a deduction) ;)

Post February 15th, 2004, 1:12 pm

Points on hand: 3,800.00 Points
Wow, it kinda sucks that I signed up but I'm not included... oh well...

Post February 15th, 2004, 2:01 pm

Originally posted by XMillenia

Wow, it kinda sucks that I signed up but I'm not included... oh well...

Check your PM inbox

Originally posted by Bino Maus

Is it allowed to create 3ds-Objects? [:-)]

Yup, but keep it FPS friendly [^]

Post February 15th, 2004, 2:10 pm

Points on hand: 3,321.00 Points

Post February 15th, 2004, 3:27 pm
GRIM.657 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Originally posted by G Force Addict

• can we upload them to the site too[?]

<<GRIM>>

Post February 15th, 2004, 3:48 pm

Originally posted by GRIM

Originally posted by G Force Addict

• can we upload them to the site too[?]

<<GRIM>>

Yes, but once you upload it to the exchange you are not allowed to send in updates for your track. If you email it and spot some dumb mistake you can still send an updated version of your track. So it's up to you [:)]

Post February 15th, 2004, 7:40 pm

Points on hand: 4,230.00 Points
    what is the difference between an extremely overbanked turn and an inversion?? how steep can an overbanked turn be? 179 degrees?

Post February 15th, 2004, 8:40 pm

Points on hand: 1,960.00 Points
    I like it, starting right away!!

And also good luck to my groupmates: cjd and MFkiDD30

Post February 15th, 2004, 9:37 pm

coaster992001, usually anything above 135????????? is considered an inversion, but it really depends on GFA here.

BTW: My Track is 95% done. just some minor smoothing and I'll start on supports... :)

Buster.

Next

Return to Contests