Board index Public Relations Contests 2006 NL Tournament (Round 1) - RESULTS pg 58

2006 NL Tournament (Round 1) - RESULTS pg 58

Only official CoasterCrazy.com Contests are posted here.

Post March 23rd, 2006, 10:51 pm

Points on hand: 4,378.00 Points

can you answer my question cjd?

"i noticed another member recieved a bonus for a 3ds station...which i made for them. did i recieve a bonus too? cause if not that would bump my overall score to 7.33 or something like that.

just curious"

i am not trying to sound like an ass who feels like they lost unfairly, and up until i came home from vacation i felt like i was just unlucky, BUT, every since i have come home, i have had 3 conversations with people who advanced to the next round, and all 3 of them told me i got screwed. that is that first thing they told me, is that i got screwed. once again i am not attempting to bitch cjd, please understand this, but i believe if 3 people believe i got screwed over, then i would suggest changing your rating methods.

building technique will go alot farther in any contest than originality. you should take a track with better bt over a track with better originality, and originality should be based on bt. for instance, if someone has a great idea, but an ok track, not good, but not crappy, they should not advance over someone who had a soso idea, with a good track. their originality score should be based on how well their BT is. they shouldnt recieve a 9 for Originality, if their track is a 6. it atmost should be an 7.5, and that is if it would recieve a perfect 10 if the track was great as well. understand what i mean? im available on IM to explain it more for you if necessary.

once again i apologize if i am sounding like a complaining ass hole, i am not one, but i am someone who has concerns about this contest. i am attempting for in the future of the matchup to be based more on this basis, where BT rules over originality, than the concept that the contest is currently being runned by, where originality is more important than BT.

Post March 23rd, 2006, 11:12 pm

Points on hand: 905.00 Points

No, originality is originality, and build technique is build technique. Don't know how you can confuse/intermingle the two. And this is exactly why I think making scenery for others is a bad idea. Not only is it almost always against the rules, this being the only case I've seen where it wasn't, you're helping your opponent you dumbass! Excuse my harshness of words, but Ragan, you set yourself up for that one. You're not the only one either.

Post March 23rd, 2006, 11:15 pm
cjd

Points on hand: 4,718.00 Points

I know the score seems a little harsh, but it really was repetitive, even more so than a real B&M. All I was asking for was a little variety. Under the current judging system, that is the score you had to get. However, I do admit that the scoring in this round was a little too highly weighted on originality to be a good one for a B&M contest. Unfortunately, it is too late to reverse it, so you're temporarily out of luck. The next time we do a straight forward build contest, I will be changing the rating system away from the traditional BT/A/O system, as its flaws have been exposed in this round with a touch too much weight put into the third category. I apoligize for that.

As far as changing the tie-breaking factor to BT goes, it's not going to happen. (of course, the primary factor is adrenaline, not originality.) Here is just a quick example... B&M coasters usually score very high in the technical side, but their adrenaline is often somewhat lacking because it is too controlled. Then, take a look at Magnum X-L 200 which has bad banking transitions, is rough, and often hurts to ride, but is one of the best coasters in the world because it has such awesome adrenaline. As an enthusiast, I would much rather ride a brutally rough but highly adrenalistic coaster than I would a glass-smooth snore fest.

Post March 23rd, 2006, 11:21 pm

its round one iron, and i was expecting to be a shoein, just like the other competor that i mentioned. he got about what he expected, and he thought that we would be about the same exact places. he got -- and i got 17th, about 10 off from what we expected on getting.

and you HAVE TO consider a track's BT when grading their O. if a track has a 4.0 in trackwork, you just CANT give it a 9.0 in originality. thats just not fair to the people who have a 9.0 track and a 4.0 originality.

and with your philosophy iron, a track with 1.0 bt and 10.0 originality and 10.0 adrenaline, COULD EASILY BEAT a track with 10.0 trak, 5.0 adren and 5.0 originality. its just not fair for the people who can build a great track.

edit, thank you cjd for clearing it up, and i look forward to future contests where originality isnt so highly weighted.

Post March 23rd, 2006, 11:24 pm
cjd

Answer me this question... in WHAT way does having a smooth track make it more original? Explain that to me.

Right now, you're telling me that I should give Talon a higher originality score than Raptor just because it's smoother.

There are very few times in my ratings where the categories affect one-another. These cases are when: A. The adrenaline was really high, but the originality was a little low. Because it was a great ride, the originality defect is somewhat overlooked. B. The technical was horrible, and it made the ride too painful to be enjoyable. In this case, adrenaline and originality both go down.

Aside from that, the ratings are ALWAYS 100% independent.

Post March 23rd, 2006, 11:27 pm

it doesnt...i dont believe i was saying that, sorry if i did. but a poop track imho cant have a high originality due to the fact that the trackwork DOES take away from the experience. you can have the best idea in the world, but it doesnt matter if it isnt exectued well.

Post March 23rd, 2006, 11:38 pm
cjd

^NO track with a 3 or 4 in technical (unless it was completely caused by collisions and e-stop issues) would get a 9 or 10 in adrenaline or originality. It just doesn't work that way. See case B... the bad technical made it very hard to enjoy the ride, so both ratings would go down a bit. however, the originality and adrenaline are separate from high technical scores. It is true that you can have a perfectly smooth coaster that is boring, but you just can't have a coaster that is morbidly rough but you could ride all day. (take a look at Drachen Fire... really original and fast coaster, but the headbanging was so bad that I hated it. Then, take a look at Talon... a really smooth coaster, but its lack of adrenaline makes it really bleh.)

Post March 23rd, 2006, 11:49 pm

i know they are seperate cjd, i dont believe i said they werent, what i am trying to get at though is that a shitty track shouldnt get great scores in adrenaline or originality, due to the track taking away from the experience. iron was saying that originality and BT were different. they arent. a horrible track wont get you a 8 or 9 in originality or adrenaline.

Post March 26th, 2006, 3:07 pm

Points on hand: 905.00 Points

Ragan, your arguments have become invalid. It does not matter anymore. CJ has explained that he is going to change his rating technique for the future and there is NOTHING he can do to fix the past. Get over it dude.

Post March 26th, 2006, 11:16 pm

dont you think i have realized that? and honestly why did it take you 65 hours to come up with a response? lol...were you typing one WPH? LOL

Post March 26th, 2006, 11:22 pm

Points on hand: 4,152.00 Points

That might be invalid, but missing at least 5 huge train hits, then only counting down on the person with the smallest possible one, is an issue. But, that really doesn't matter now...

Previous

Return to Contests