Board index Public Relations Contests 2012 No Limits Tournament - Round 2

2012 No Limits Tournament - Round 2

Only official CoasterCrazy.com Contests are posted here.

Post April 11th, 2012, 2:02 pm
hyyyper User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 9,207.00 Points

2012 CoasterCrazy NoLimits Tournament
Round 2

A large park wants you to build their next coaster. However, space is limited and the only patch of land that was not taken by a ride or coaster is the central square. To make room for the coaster, a large portion of the square has already been removed. The essential connections to other areas in the park remain, and must remain untouched.

The park wants you to design a wooden coaster for the area. They do not care what style or trains you use, if you design it, they will build it.

The rules

*The imperial measurements are estimates only. Tracks will be checked in metric units.
*A lot of things are not limited or set. Use this freedom responsibly, creating unrealistic or impractical coasters will hurt your score.
*The rules may seem confusing, but should be clear when you open the template. Still unclear, don't hesitate to ask questions.

link to track: http://coastercrazy.com/track_exchange/detail/18992

Track and supports must be completely within the light blue lines.

Coaster must be wooden. Train style and size is totally free.

The paths on the template must remain untouched. Therefore, there can be nothing between the path and 5 meters directly above it. You can build over the paths, or create a tunnel. If you create a tunnel, you do not have to support the path, but you can if you like.
The red rectangles on the edges of the template represent the areas that must be kept clear.

The maximum track height is 50 meters (editor height), this is indicated by the red line. This means 50 meters EDITOR HEIGHT, not 50 from ground level! (164 feet)

Maximum track length is 1200 meters. (3935 feet)

The station can be placed anywhere on the template. The station building itself can stick out of the template, but not on the pink paths.

You must use one lift, no launches. Lift speed and transport speed on other segments is not limited.

Scenery objects are allowed, but scenery that is made to mimic track or supports must follow the same rules as regular track and supports.

Players
Players compete in pairs. The judges will determine who will be the best of each pair. The 4 winners of the pairings will compete in the final.

Pair A:
TheArchitect
devilsrule911

Pair B:
umop episdn
boneplaya

Pair C:
yoshifreak
Jakizle

Pair D:
Vid_w
tracksix

Sending in
Upload your track to the exchange BEFORE Thursday 3th of May, and include the [NLT] tag in the name so that I will be able to find it.

You are allowed to share your design and post pictures of it, to show to the other opponents that you are clearly better than them, and will have no trouble beating them.

As always, I am only *this* concentrated during the late hours that I put together this tournament, so the chance is reasonable that something is unclear, vague or total BS. Please ask your questions, post your comments and spill your irritations so that I can answer, elaborate or call you an idiot for not understanding the rules.

Have fun, and may the odds be ever in your favor (wink)
Last edited by hyyyper on April 11th, 2012, 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post April 11th, 2012, 2:05 pm
Oscar User avatar
Founding Member
Founding Member

Points on hand: 11,502.60 Points
Bank: 187,052.60 Points

Post April 11th, 2012, 2:52 pm

Points on hand: 1,601.00 Points
I like it. Woodies are always fun. Certainly separates the decent hand builders from the n00bs.

Post April 11th, 2012, 2:54 pm

Points on hand: 10,012.00 Points
Oooooh, no style or train requirements. This really will be interesting!

Post April 11th, 2012, 3:15 pm
A.S.C. User avatar
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Points on hand: 59.00 Points
Bank: 1,276.00 Points
Those are tight pair-ups, some of you really have competition to live up to.

Post April 11th, 2012, 3:16 pm

Points on hand: 611.00 Points
I can't download the template. (3 track a day rule) So if you could email me it I would be grateful.

Post April 11th, 2012, 3:32 pm
TheArchitect User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 501,147.00 Points
Bank: 498,048.00 Points

Post April 11th, 2012, 3:33 pm

Points on hand: 1,916.00 Points

Post April 11th, 2012, 3:39 pm
Metazoanhaddock User avatar

Points on hand: 3,282.00 Points
Bank: 52,337.00 Points
looking forward to seeing what this produces...personally, im saving the templates for when i finish APs and can start working on coasters again....
Head Moderator
Director, Structural Engineer - PEAK Amusements
Site Contest Judge (Supporting)
Chatroom Admin

Post April 11th, 2012, 3:56 pm

Points on hand: 611.00 Points
Just a simple question, would a Texas Giant styled RMC Iron Horse count as a woodie?

Post April 11th, 2012, 3:56 pm

Points on hand: 85.00 Points
Bank: 2,503.00 Points
Archy (3Ds) + devilsrule (wooden coasters)? I can already see which pair might be winning lol.

Post April 11th, 2012, 4:02 pm
Metazoanhaddock User avatar

Points on hand: 3,282.00 Points
Bank: 52,337.00 Points
they're paired AGAINST one another, not to work together
Head Moderator
Director, Structural Engineer - PEAK Amusements
Site Contest Judge (Supporting)
Chatroom Admin

Post April 11th, 2012, 4:27 pm

Bahahahaha rookie.

I feel bad for yoshifreak. Poor lad.

Post April 11th, 2012, 5:51 pm
TheArchitect User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 501,147.00 Points
Bank: 498,048.00 Points

Post April 11th, 2012, 7:37 pm
yoshifreak Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 241.00 Points
I hate to bring up the age old argument regarding contest rating, but I feel like I have to considering the variable nature of this round. In regards to adrenaline ratings, are track styles going to be judged relative to manufacturer tendencies or pure ride experience? For example, say Jakizle and I were to both build equally "technically accurate" rides. His being an Intamin and mine being a GCI. Would I remain at a disadvantage because, in comparison, the ride intensity experience favors Intamin in terms of pacing, forces, etc?

Post April 11th, 2012, 7:47 pm

Adrenaline scores don't go up when forces are stronger, and they don't go down when forces are weaker. If it's technically accurate, then it should be accurate with respect to adrenaline as well.

That's all that should matter if a judge looks for precision and proper shaping (Ckidmwm) but if a judge doesn't care/know about the utilization of certain shaping styles (hyyyper) then none of that matters.

Post April 11th, 2012, 7:57 pm

Points on hand: 1,601.00 Points
CK is pretty well known for hating GCIs lol. I would say don't make a GCI, but that seems like it would sort of defeat the point of "if you design it, they will build it."

Post April 11th, 2012, 8:09 pm
Premium Member

Originally posted by GerstlCrazy

Adrenaline scores don't go up when forces are stronger, and they don't go down when forces are weaker. If it's technically accurate, then it should be accurate with respect to adrenaline as well.

That's all that should matter if a judge looks for precision and proper shaping (Ckidmwm) but if a judge doesn't care/know about the utilization of certain shaping styles (hyyyper) then none of that matters.

I agree, it should all be relative to the style, but obviously I'd like to know before I start building a track. I don't wanna get marked down because "My GCI doesn't pace like El Toro".

Post April 11th, 2012, 8:21 pm

GCIs have way better pacing than El Toro- Renegade, Prowler, TROY- they all haul ass into the brakes and El Toro kind of moseys.

These judges have pretty solid integrity when it comes to rating. The merit of your ride- shaping, utilization of speed and pacing [to your ride's benefit]- they'll all be compared relatively. I don't think you have to worry about it.

Hell, you could win the heart of Ckidmwm by building an RCCA or a Dinn perfectly and those are the most boring rides on the planet.

Post April 11th, 2012, 8:23 pm
Premium Member

...GCI's have way better pacing than El Toro... Renegade, Prowler, TROY? They all haul ass into the brakes and El Toro moseys...

Okay then, how about my Intamin doesn't pace like Troy? The details are irrelevant, both convey the same judging issue.

Post April 11th, 2012, 8:29 pm

Yeah I mean I'm not a judge, I can't answer the question, I just think it's not really a point of concern.

But the chances of you producing any kind of wood equally technically accurate to whatever Jakizle will make.......

Post April 11th, 2012, 8:40 pm
Premium Member

Yeah I mean I'm not a judge, I can't answer the question, I just think it's not really a point of concern.

But the chances of you producing any kind of wood equally technically accurate to whatever Jakizle will make.......

No reason to get upset. I'm looking forward to seeing Jake's track, it should be good competition.

Post April 11th, 2012, 9:38 pm
Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
Originally posted by boneplaya

CK is pretty well known for hating GCIs lol. I would say don't make a GCI, but that seems like it would sort of defeat the point of "if you design it, they will build it."

Your family coaster will be rated highly if it's made the right way with the proper supports.

Bahahahaha rookie.

I feel bad for yoshifreak. Poor lad.

If Jake makes another pile of poop turn like he did yoshifreak will do just fine. I also recommend you don't call him a "poor lad" when yoshi is way better than you to begin with.

Hyyyper isn't judging. Read things before you insult people dumbass.

GCIs have way better pacing than El Toro- Renegade, Prowler, TROY- they all haul ass into the brakes and El Toro kind of moseys.

[more stupid blathering nobody cares about goes here]

Hell, you could win the heart of Ckidmwm by building an RCCA or a Dinn perfectly and those are the most boring rides on the planet.

**puts on sunglasses**

At least the Dinn would have airtime.
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Post April 11th, 2012, 9:58 pm

Points on hand: 85.00 Points
Bank: 2,503.00 Points
CK you're wearing like 6 pairs of sunglasses by now right? You've practically put on another pair once per day. I'm surprised you can even see.

Post April 11th, 2012, 10:10 pm
Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
You're just mad cause they're Oakleys
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Next

Return to Contests