Board index Theme Park Discussions Theme Park News & Construction! 2017 - Lamest Year for US Coasters in Recent Decades?

2017 - Lamest Year for US Coasters in Recent Decades?

Theme Park Construction And News Forum


Posts: 550
Points on hand: 6,003.00 Points
Location: USA
Six Flags has made their 2017 announcements, which was a literal attack of the clones. The 3 coaster offerings are throwaway Joker clones that get old before the brief ride experience is half over. Cedar Fair has offered up a GCI woodie that might have potential and floorless conversion of one of the worst existing stand up coasters. BGW has given us the massive and wonderfully-named Invadr. Am I missing something? Save us, Iron Streak...you're our only hope...

In any case, I already said it, talk amongst yourselves.

Paradox User avatar
Moderator
Moderator

Posts: 6140
Points on hand: 6,627.00 Points
Bank: 10,198.60 Points
Location: USA
Well when you think about it, 2016 was a huge year for coasters all over the world. It makes sense that this year is a bit more dull. With rides like Joker, Valravn, Taron, Flying Aces, Wildfire, and more all being built last year, 2017 really doesn't stand a chance in matching that.
Some memes are meant to be kept

Coasterkidmwm wrote:
gouldy wrote:
Just don't employ stupid people and you're golden.

That's like finding a Waffle House with no white trash in it.


Posts: 489
Points on hand: 4,023.00 Points

XLR8R User avatar
CoasterCrazy Media
CoasterCrazy Media

Posts: 355
Points on hand: 3,273.01 Points
Location: Earth
I'm most excited for Dollywood's new coaster opening next year.
Storm Chaser | Intimidator 305 | Lightning Run | Twisted Colossus | Maverick | El Toro | Millennium Force | Xcelerator | El Loco | Magnum XL-200
Coaster Count: 154 - Last Credit: Ragin' Cajun (Six Flags America)

mkingy User avatar
Moderator
Moderator

Posts: 5428
Points on hand: 27,544.00 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points
Location: United Kingdom
XLR8R wrote:
I'm most excited for Dollywood's new coaster opening next year.


Yeah I heard about that - world's first isn't it?

The world over does seem to be having a "Low investment" year - aside from what you mentioned the ride at Movie Park Germany is the only ride that is truly interesting (given the Alton woodie is unlikely to be more than a solid family coaster).
Coaster Count - 181
France 2019 Mini Trip Report


Posts: 141
Points on hand: 3,231.00 Points
^Out of what's been announced so far, I think Vekoma is in the lead for "best new coaster of 2017" with Lech Coaster/Bermuda Blitz. That ride looks fantastic.
Lightning Rod|Intimidator 305|Fury 325|Twisted Timbers|Storm Chaser|Wicked Cyclone|Skyrush|Maverick|El Toro|Voyage

Paradox User avatar
Moderator
Moderator

Posts: 6140
Points on hand: 6,627.00 Points
Bank: 10,198.60 Points
Location: USA
CoasterMac305 wrote:
^Out of what's been announced so far, I think Vekoma is in the lead for "best new coaster of 2017" with Lech Coaster/Bermuda Blitz. That ride looks fantastic.

That's for 2018
Some memes are meant to be kept

Coasterkidmwm wrote:
gouldy wrote:
Just don't employ stupid people and you're golden.

That's like finding a Waffle House with no white trash in it.


Posts: 267
Points on hand: 5,346.00 Points
Location: Orange County, California, US
2017 is definitely a weak year so far, but it is following two huge years for coasters. Additionally, while the major chains have announced there is still the possibility of one or more of the smaller independent parks surprising us, we don't have the full details on SeaWorld San Antonio's new ride, and it is looking very likely that GaleForce may be added to the 2017 lineup. Even if nothing more is announced, I'd still say this is a better year than 2010, as that year brought only a formulaic B&M hyper and a problematic Intamin Giga (and a Premier launcher, but almost nobody talks about that one).
Coaster Count: 464 (94 wood, 375 steel); Park Count: 92
Top 5 Wood: El Toro, Voyage, Lightning Rod, Boulder Dash, Phoenix
Top 5 Steel: Fury 325, Superman the Ride, Steel Vengeance, X2, Millennium Force


Posts: 3149
Points on hand: 2,734.21 Points
Bank: 6,969.69 Points
Because 2016 = best year ever for coasters by far in my opinion. Can't really be mad at 2017 with that in mind.


Posts: 1242
Points on hand: 207.00 Points
Bank: 11,457.10 Points
Location: Cleveland
Just for the record, RMC is building 4 new coasters(1 at least will be a converison, the track is in their factory currently). Theres still several B&ms sitting at the factory, with no knowledge of where they are heading, GCI is building 4 coasters, intamin has 2 new coasters, The two Unopened rides at ferrari world will most likely open it 2017 at this point, possibly the ferrari land coaster too. Mack is building a bunch of cool rides, so is gerstlauer. Not a bad year really, lots of new coasters just not at the major US parks.
All hail your great Arrow Dynamics overlords.


Posts: 8121
Points on hand: 13,358.00 Points
Don't be that sad. We should think that the year 2000 is way too awesome! Thanks Millennium Force! :)
-- I was happy to be with NL1 - [:')] --


Posts: 1240
Points on hand: 6,869.00 Points
Location: New Jersey, USA
lol240 wrote:
Don't be that sad. We should think that the year 2000 is way too awesome! Thanks Millennium Force! :)

Boulder Dash, Legend, Superman Ride of Steel at SFNE, and the Phantom's Revenge renovation are much better reasons to like 2000 than that boring ride.
1.Boulder Dash | 2.Legend(HW) | 3.Beast | 4.Ravine Flyer II | 5.Intimdator 305 | 6.Phoenix | 7.Twisted Timbers | 8.Wicked Cyclone | 9.Thunderhead | 10.Storm Chaser


Posts: 550
Points on hand: 6,003.00 Points
Location: USA
MagnumFreak25 wrote:
Just for the record, RMC is building 4 new coasters(1 at least will be a converison, the track is in their factory currently). Theres still several B&ms sitting at the factory, with no knowledge of where they are heading, GCI is building 4 coasters, intamin has 2 new coasters, The two Unopened rides at ferrari world will most likely open it 2017 at this point, possibly the ferrari land coaster too. Mack is building a bunch of cool rides, so is gerstlauer. Not a bad year really, lots of new coasters just not at the major US parks.


Right, and this is why I put US in the title. There could be more forthcoming announcements that change things. Really it's Six Flags and Cedar Fair that are the wheels on the disappointment wagon. I only know about the Star Trek Mack though??

Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Posts: 12287
Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
Location: Illinois, USA
dcs221 wrote:
Because 2016 = best year ever for coasters by far in my opinion. Can't really be mad at 2017 with that in mind.


^This
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"


Posts: 489
Points on hand: 4,023.00 Points
I found it interesting that all I kept reading was that enthusiasts were tired of SF/RMC hybrids ruining their perfectly banal wooden coasters, "OMG RMCS R SO OVERRATEDzzz..." And then I saw a bunch of people bashing them for no RMC "The Boss" or "La Monstre" being added for next year. :roll:

In other news: It's official. Large Mack coasters just aren't going to be built here in the US. Unforgivable! :x

Also, SF buys rides like I shop at Costco, and it's hilarious!
Intamin: The Force Awakens.

Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Posts: 12287
Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
Location: Illinois, USA
aj74205 wrote:
Six Flags has made their 2017 announcements, which was a literal attack of the clones. The 3 coaster offerings are throwaway Joker clones that get old before the brief ride experience is half over. Cedar Fair has offered up a GCI woodie that might have potential and floorless conversion of one of the worst existing stand up coasters. BGW has given us the massive and wonderfully-named Invadr. Am I missing something? Save us, Iron Streak...you're our only hope...

In any case, I already said it, talk amongst yourselves.


Maybe you're a brat.
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Dirk_Ermen User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Posts: 13250
Points on hand: 3,524.50 Points
Bank: 42,000.00 Points
Location: Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
mkingy wrote:
XLR8R wrote:
I'm most excited for Dollywood's new coaster opening next year.


Yeah I heard about that - world's first isn't it?

The world over does seem to be having a "Low investment" year - aside from what you mentioned the ride at Movie Park Germany is the only ride that is truly interesting (given the Alton woodie is unlikely to be more than a solid family coaster).


Don't forget the replacement for the Looping Star in Slagharen. It's already known that it's going to be a Gerstlauer, but further details are unknown yet.
Coastercount: 1183 (I've seen the world and it's horrid contraptions... @.@)
- Wood: 136
- Steel: 1047


Posts: 8121
Points on hand: 13,358.00 Points
devilsrule911 wrote:
lol240 wrote:
Don't be that sad. We should think that the year 2000 is way too awesome! Thanks Millennium Force! :)

Boulder Dash, Legend, Superman Ride of Steel at SFNE, and the Phantom's Revenge renovation are much better reasons to like 2000 than that boring ride.

But without MF, Fury 325 wouldn't have come to this world. :)
-- I was happy to be with NL1 - [:')] --


Return to Theme Park News & Construction!

 


  • Related topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post