Board index Theme Park Discussions Theme Park News & Construction! Alton Towers Wooden Coaster & Shoot The Chute Ride

Alton Towers Wooden Coaster & Shoot The Chute Ride

Theme Park Construction And News Forum

Points on hand: 3,318.00 Points
Location: Kettering, England / Northamptonshire, United Kingdom

It appears that Alton Towers is once again in the process of planning another Wooden Rollercoaster, however on a smaller scale of the proposed SW6 plans and more of the scale of Megafobia. Rumours also suggest Alton Towers will also recieve a Shoot The Chute style ride for next season

Click here for more information

Post November 1st, 2006, 12:31 pm

Points on hand: 3,283.00 Points

Hmmmm so they are definately planning it, its just a case of getting planning permission now then? Thats pretty good, they will stand a much better chance of getting planning permission for this than with SW6. That coaster would have been just a little to out there i guess, and the fact that it would have been visible from the gardens just made it obvious they were never going to get permission for it.

Anyway good news i guess, and i always said a shoot the chutes was needed at alton. The flume is just way to...erm... crap to entertain anyone but families. They definately need a water ride for an older age group along with the river rapids, especially with ripsaw being so lame now.... [:(]

I REALLY hope they get this woodie. And i really hope they go Gravity group rather than Intamin..... Although i can definately see Alton going Intamin, GCI or maybe even Vekoma....

Post November 1st, 2006, 12:35 pm

As I was saying to Gouldy, Gaz and Zan at AT, they need a compact little coaster in the area behind the log flume that's alongside Duel up to Forbidden Valley. The plot of land is just empty and a waste of space. The old Train Station is still there for some reason and that was taken out years and years ago. In fact you could get a series of small rides in that area, including a shoot the chute a woody and a couple of flat rides

Post November 1st, 2006, 1:39 pm
hyyyper User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 9,207.00 Points

Post November 1st, 2006, 2:15 pm

Shoot the Chute...Intamin ride, with the big boats, big drops and a good soaking...Tidal Wave for example and Hydra at Oakwood

SW6 - Secret Weapon 6, Alton Towers previous wooden coaster plans

Post November 1st, 2006, 2:48 pm

You mean where they were going to put the booster bike before rita? Yeah, thats a really good spot, and i think for a woodie it would be well suited, it wouldnt destroy the feel of the area, like the booster bike would have done. Its pretty creepy looking down near the old train station, i always look down there when i walk towards forbidden valley. Its on quite a slope aswell..... meaning TERRAIN WOODIE!!!! [:)] Now that would be great. The only difficulty is there are so many trees down there, and you know how the council can be about tree removal with alton.... They really dont like the idea.

EDIT: Why the hell didnt they make Charlie and the chocolate factory into a themed shoot the chutes? I wanted that as soon as i heard the plans, and Alton even had plans drawn up for it in the jazzland plans! I really wish we could have seen jazzland happen - although one good thing came out of it not happening, rita. [:D]

Post November 1st, 2006, 3:01 pm

Points on hand: 5,761.00 Points

http://www.towerstimes.co.uk/

look here there is alot of info under wooden roller coaster and the now known project shark. its planned for the coaster corner just behind cred street where previously the biestie and the alton mouse was situated. i truly think if alton towers dont get planning permission for this one they will just go for another design and then another and another and so on untill they get a woodie.
Making screams come true

Post November 1st, 2006, 3:04 pm

Points on hand: 89.00 Points

They didn't go revealing it to that other club which I left!!
Much as Id like to see it, I'd be suprised if it did happen, I recently read in the context of how megaphobia got built that focus groups thought the public don't trust wooden rides and think they're old technology, also they're less easy to market to the public. 10 years later theres still no more woodies in the UK, and from a park who abandoned their last 2 proposed ones in favour of Air and Rita (both at the forefront of technology at their times) it does make me sceptical..........

Post November 1st, 2006, 3:28 pm

Points on hand: 2,092.00 Points
Bank: 10.00 Points

I think that Tussauds have realised that (for Alton Towers at least) they dont need to install the forefront of technology. A simple 'classic' ride is all that is needed.
Also, now that Flamingoland has a woodie on the way, the type of coaster once again seems an 'acceptable' installation?

Post November 1st, 2006, 4:00 pm

Points on hand: 5,473.00 Points
I'm guessing and hoping for an Intamin. It would propably fit Alton very well, and I'm sure Tussauds is pretty happy with Colossos. And if they use some more time and not just throw in a scrapped coaster design from another park this could be an awesome coaster. Imagine some kind of Intamin woodie using the height limit to its advantage, making some tunnels and loads of fun stuff. Now that could be an awesome ride.
Coaster count: 153
Moving to Singapore in july!

Post November 1st, 2006, 4:55 pm

Originally posted by coasterteddy

and from a park who abandoned their last 2 proposed ones in favour of Air and Rita

who told you that. the only reason the last 2 didnt go ahed is because the planning permission was refused. they didnt scrap anything for air and rita. air was planned for 7 years previously and rita was a stroke of luck with it coming from another park. this is somthing tussads wants to really compleate the park with a nice round of intence coasters and gentile coasters. im hoping this will be somwhere in the middle.
Making screams come true

Post November 1st, 2006, 4:58 pm

Yes but imagine what Gravity Group could do with the Alton terrain!! Its just one of the most suited parks for Gravity Group to build their first small-ish woodie in! And we all know John Wardley wants a woodie because its a woodie - he doesnt want a woodie to be like a stel coaster, otherwise they would just get another steel coaster. If John Wardley gets his way i dont think it will be Intamin to be honest. Although i could be very very wrong. If the rest of Alton get their way, it probably will be Intamin because their last coaster was Intamin and its really popular.

and from a park who abandoned their last 2 proposed ones in favour of Air and Rita (both at the forefront of technology at their times) it does make me sceptical..........

Why be sceptical? They basically had to withdraw their plans because they knew they wouldnt get planning permission. This time it should be different, and if it gets the go ahead, im pretty sure Alton WILL have their woodie finally, they wont drop it if they get permission. Theyve waited to long to get one.

EDIT: HAHAHA gazag you got their before me. Great minds think alike though mate [:D]

Post November 2nd, 2006, 9:19 am

Points on hand: 3,960.00 Points

Originally posted by Edge

As I was saying to Gouldy, Gaz and Zan at AT, they need a compact little coaster in the area behind the log flume that's alongside Duel up to Forbidden Valley. The plot of land is just empty and a waste of space. The old Train Station is still there for some reason and that was taken out years and years ago. In fact you could get a series of small rides in that area, including a shoot the chute a woody and a couple of flat rides

yeah a nice woodie there will be perfect.. would blend in with the trees, and good terain there
Rarwh

Post November 2nd, 2006, 1:42 pm

jpecool: Jown Wardley is practicly retired, so I doubt he have that much to say.

I also doubt it will be a gci. Seing how many coasters they are putting out at the moment. For 08 Tripsdrill will add a gci, along with cedar fair and possibly silver dollar city. I'll highly doubt we will see an Alton version too.

Post November 2nd, 2006, 2:08 pm

Yeah I guess that makes sense, I'm sure GCI would give up 10 million + dollars as they have too many things on

Post November 2nd, 2006, 5:02 pm

Points on hand: 359.00 Points

@ Nosferatu: Tripsdrill didn't get a woodie from gci.Look on rcdb.com

Post November 2nd, 2006, 7:39 pm

Points on hand: 89.00 Points

2 didnt go ahed is because the planning permission was refused. they didnt scrap anything for air and rita. air was planned for 7 years previously

hmm I remember the first woodie had a figure 8 style layout and would have been on the site of air though, John Wardley actually put out his rct version of it, it was one of the options for the site I think.
What I mean is if they think theres a chance of getting planning permission now this way it seems they haven't been fully committed to a woodie in the past, but reading more into it it does seem plenty more hopeful than I initially thought.

Post November 2nd, 2006, 10:48 pm

Points on hand: 2,305.00 Points
Well, it seems now to me, if it will be more family oriented it will be a GCI, which would be great for alton Towers. There coasters always impress me. Though this seems alotn Towers also probably really wants to add this woodie, since they have plans to not even cut a tree down, and have it at the back of the park.

Post November 2nd, 2006, 10:52 pm
coolbeans326 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 6,184.00 Points

^ why does it have to be GCI to be family oriented? The Voyage at Holiday World would be classified as a family rollercoaster, because it has the hight minimum of 48 inches, which isn't too bad seeing as how most people who are about 6 - 7 on up are about that tall. Anything is possible.[;)]

Post November 2nd, 2006, 10:56 pm

Points on hand: 2,305.00 Points
I was leaning towards it. Not actually saying it was. although I see 4 year old kids get on a GCI. Though will we be seeing a GG coaster at Alton? Really I don't think so. It is so far away to tell, really.

Post November 3rd, 2006, 8:48 am

Originally posted by Edge

Yeah I guess that makes sense, I'm sure GCI would give up 10 million + dollars as they have too many things on

Its not all about the money[;)] I read once in an interview that they currently only have the capacity too manufactur 2 coasters a year, but are expected to expand that too 4 in 2009. Maybe they are working on expanding the company and will manage 3 or 4 in 2008? [:)]

Originally posted by Coasterfan91

They are getting one for 2008[:)]

Post November 3rd, 2006, 11:24 am
Dirk_Ermen User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 2,175.50 Points
Bank: 45,000.00 Points
Originally posted by Nosferatu

Originally posted by Coasterfan91

They are getting one for 2008[:)]

If that's true then i will be making another trip in 2008 around germany [redsmoke]
Coastercount: 1410 (I've seen the world and it's horrid contraptions... @.@)
- Wood: 142
- Steel: 1268

Post November 3rd, 2006, 12:17 pm

Points on hand: 2,092.00 Points
Bank: 10.00 Points

Originally posted by Nosferatu

jpecool: Jown Wardley is practicly retired, so I doubt he have that much to say.

John has been at the park this week, whilst Alton has been carying out height measurements via a bit of balloon flying [pshades]

Post November 3rd, 2006, 12:50 pm

WOOP Balloon tests eh? So they are definately committed to this one then. They never got that far with the other woodie plans. I REALLY hope balloons cant be seen outside the park though, otherwise we're screwed
[:(] With a woodie anyway! With rita it was okay it was slightly visble because it didnt have anything else going against it like noise....

And I didnt think John Wardley was practically retired? Hes still very much dedicated to the alton getting a woodie cause i believe. [:)]

Ahhh i might drop back into saome of the UK sites to find out more news on this coaster then. I really cant be arsed though because you get so many spammy chavs on them! URGH. [lol]

Post November 3rd, 2006, 1:09 pm

John Wardley is never going to retire in my opinion, he love coasters more than any other person on this planet and i belive will keep on designing till the end of his days.
Making screams come true

Next

Return to Theme Park News & Construction!