Board index Theme Park Discussions Theme Park News & Construction! Cedar Point 2012

Cedar Point 2012

Theme Park Construction And News Forum

Cedar Point 2012

Something Big (Coaster, Major Thrill Ride)
51%
Something Small (Kid Rides, Shows, Restaurants)
23%
Nothing New For 2012
26%

Total votes : 39

Post July 20th, 2011, 8:07 am

Points on hand: 2,597.00 Points
Just curious as to what/if anything has been heard of speculated upon for CP next season. It's starting to be around that time where we start to talk about it and get some clues. Does CP stay quiet this year after doing lots of new things the last few years, or are they planning something? Vote and let's discuss.

Post July 20th, 2011, 9:02 am

Points on hand: 2,153.00 Points
i hope they tear out mean streak..
because then they could fit in 2 big coasters, 3 small coasters/thrill rides, and a-lot of shops, and basically open up a new land in mean streaks spot..
or they will stay quiet and tear down wind whatever it is called due to the lawsuit they are going through

Post July 20th, 2011, 10:24 am

Points on hand: 4,046.00 Points

Post July 20th, 2011, 10:27 am

Points on hand: 686.00 Points
^^ Either rip out Mean Streak and put something like Dominator or Dragon Kahn (oooo)in or do a Texas Giant style renovation to it.

Post July 20th, 2011, 10:39 am

Points on hand: 1,598.00 Points
I dont think there going to do anything. They just built something, although the windseeker is a waste of time and money.
A man has needs and that needs is booze.

Post July 20th, 2011, 10:46 am

Points on hand: 143.00 Points
Bank: 3,000.00 Points
They haven't had a new coaster for five years since they built Maverick as well as that they may want to reclaim the most coasters title from SFMM, so I foresee a new coaster for 2012.
RIP
Log Jammer, SFMM
1971-2011
Originally posted by richie5126
T: all newtons on this site are smooth so this must be high.

Post July 20th, 2011, 10:49 am

Points on hand: 4,046.00 Points
I may disagree slightly with you bottom feeder. I feel as though CP has been more focused on making their park a more well rounded park lately rather than a waste of time with a bunch of coasters. their future is getting alot brighter. Hopefully someday they'll reach the status of a park similar to busch gardens. Busch gardens tampa may not have a million different coasters, but you bet your ass i'd take busch gardens over CP any day. i feel like CP is shifting focus towards this area rather than trying to build the biggest most bad ass coasters...

Post July 20th, 2011, 11:30 am

Points on hand: 1,851.00 Points
Redo mean streak and give TTD and MF updated restraints to make it more comfortable and for bigger people to ride. Maverick's restraints are a good example.(Coasterkidmwm shut the hell up)

Post July 20th, 2011, 12:11 pm
Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
PROTIP: If you keep expanding seats for fatasses eventually normal people won't fit in them. Adding OTSR's to lapbar rides has completely ruined them every single time it has been done.

Stop eating so much sugar and bacon.

On topic things I'd like to see:
1. Plant trees on the main midway. Aside from the area with the frontiery shops or whatever the hell it's called away a bit to the right MF's entrance, the park has as much concrete in it as a housing project.
2. More rides for everyone like Windseeker, Maxair, and the S&S swingy thing (Windseeker is one of their better additions of the past 5 years). Once the OMFGZ NEW RIDE lines die down, Windseeker will probably be excellent. My father and I ride the ferris wheel because it's free air conditioning up in the air, so Windseeker will probably double that effect by actually moving. Hell I'd welcome one of those massive Japanese style ferris wheels as a replacement for the current one they have now.
3. Give a poop about wooden rides. Mean Streak would be fine if they gave a damn aside from the bare minimum, and I bet Blue Streak would be would be really really bad if it was larger (Blue Streak is a neat ride and I'm aware of it so deal with it).

This coaster crown poop comes at a hefty price, and I'd really prefer it if they just demolished the old pointless money suckers like Disaster Transport (building it is in looks like crap also), Corkscrew, and Iron Dragon, and then replaced them with a relatively large family style ride like what is going into BGW to make up for the family ride hit coming from losing Iron Dragon and Disaster Transport. The BGW ride could just meander aimless over paths and stuff like Jaguar at Knott's, because it's not like CP will plant any trees or anything that would need to be cut down for it. I've been told the Schwarzkopf's like Wildcat are very easy to replace parts on and such (if the parts exist) so I didn't mention it, but yeah I really feel like life would be more pleasant financially for the park if they didn't for Arrow parts on a ride like Corkscrew that nobody likes. The leftover savings in maintenance can go towards opening flat rides on time or to things like giving a damn about Mean Streak.
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Post July 20th, 2011, 12:35 pm

Points on hand: 1,601.00 Points
Disaster Transport needs to GTFO, and be replaced with a GCI. A beautiful beachside woodie? That's like a dream come true. Iron Dragon could go too, but I think Disaster Transport needs to go first. While neither of these may be planned for the near future, I think it's worth saying that it will happen at some point.

But, CK, the problem with demolishing Corkscrew is that there's not really a whole lot they can replace it with. Sure, maybe add some flats or something, but IMO they already have more than enough little rides like that.

originally posted by bandman232

the windseeker is a waste of time and money

WRONG. It's not a thrill ride by any means, but it's a hell of a lot of fun. It's also absolutely breathtaking at night. I've ridden it during the say, during the evening, and right as the park is closing, and every time it was a fantastic experience. Was it as exciting as Maverick? Hell no. It wasn't supposed to be. It's supposed to be a family ride that little kids can ride and tell their friends, "I rode THAT. I'm COOL!" because it's 300 feet tall. Do you know what my (20-year-old) sister said immediately after getting off Windseeker at 10:15 pm the other night? "That was really cool! I wish we could go again!" Mind you, my sister is the most cynical person ever when it comes to amusement parks, and her having that much praise for a ride like that is something I never thought I'd see. In my opinion, that says something about the widespread appeal it has to people.

Anyway back on topic. I think the question posed in this thread can be interpreted two different ways: 1) What do you think CP will get in 2012? and 2) What do you want CP to get in 2012? Which is why your answers will probably end up weird. Obviously, I think, we all want the "something big" option, but realistically, is that going to happen? I don't think there's even been the slightest hint of construction up at the point, am I right?

Post July 20th, 2011, 5:01 pm

Idk why Iron Dragon gets so much poop. It's a really nice ride, not really that extreme so its a good chill out coaster.

Adding OTSR's to lapbar rides has completely ruined them every single time it has been done.

Mabye I don't care.

Post July 20th, 2011, 5:18 pm

Points on hand: 72.00 Points
Bank: 12,611.00 Points
I actually rode Iron Dragon on my last trip, just because Arrows are a dying breed. First drop was rather fun, though it was pretty chill before the second lift hill/drop. It's fun going through the woods, but was just that. After the second lift, there were more sharper turns and swings which weren't Flight Deck nor BBW, but were nonetheless fun to ride.

Same deal happens with the Windseeker. It has its place in the park and it's nice to be up in the air for more than two seconds. Yes, most of us can agree that a GCI would've been better, but those who bitch about the Windseeker being boring miss the point of the ride.

The main thing about CP is that not every ride is designed ideally and to be intense. What I mean is, look at Adventure Express (King's Island) versus Cedar Creek Mine Ride. Both are equally good as family rides, but Adventure Express is far more fun for enthusiasts and pretty much anyone looking for a good ride. KI may not have the biggest, latest, and most high-tech rides (except for Diamondback), but they made damn sure that each ride is a great one. I don't hate Iron Dragon, Corkscrew, Wildcat, and Disaster Transport, but they're definitely not the best rides that they could've been. However, the only ride at CP that's actually bad would be Mean Streak.

As for 2012, I'd take any coaster/thrill ride as long as it's well designed and fun/exciting to ride, as well as unique to the park. It could be a GCI, a Flying Dutchman, or even an indoor LIM launcher. It could be built in the modern, Newtonized track style or the old coathanger way. As long as it's not some tall, non-looping ride or something which they already have way too much of.

Post July 20th, 2011, 5:33 pm

The only reason why I even wanted to go on the ride in the first place was to say that I went on an arrow suspended coaster. I personally belive that Iron Dragon will be the last one operating soon. (there are only 6 left)

BTW highlights of my trip to CP...

(outside the entrance of Magnum XL-200)
Little Kid: NOOO!! I DONT WANNA GO ON!! I'M SCARED!!!
Kid's Dad: Come on! It'll be fun! you'll like it!
Little Kid: NO! NO! NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

(10 minutes later)
Little Kid: That was the BEST roller coaster ride EVER!!!

And to top it all of, another kid barfed on Maverick and the ride op looked like she was about to heave up in sympathy.

Post July 20th, 2011, 5:34 pm

Points on hand: 3,043.00 Points

I thought Windseeker was a good ride, it's just terrible maintenance wise (either that or they just randomly shut it down for 3/4 of the day), It was a really hot day and I literally got a little cold up there. Cedar Point doesn't need a new gigantic mega coaster or any of that poop, not that they have the room for it. Iron Dragon has nothing wrong with it. Sure it doesn't have the queue time of Top Thrill Dragster, but it's smooth, runs great, and it's actually a pretty fun ride.

Mean Streak would be a good ride if they maintained it right and didn't trim the love drop. If the park keeps adding flats like Windseeker more families will come and increase attendance likely instead of the thrill-seeker approach, only attracting the less common group of people.

Post July 20th, 2011, 5:38 pm
True Addicts
True Addicts

Originally posted by nolimitsfan38

Idk why Iron Dragon gets so much poop. It's a really nice ride, not really that extreme so its a good chill out coaster.

Adding OTSR's to lapbar rides has completely ruined them every single time it has been done.

Mabye I don't care.

Keep perpetuating that stereotype.

Post July 20th, 2011, 5:40 pm

Points on hand: 3,043.00 Points

Also, who wants more restraints like Maverick's? I prefer Millennium Force's and Dragsters over those any day.

Post July 20th, 2011, 6:18 pm

I'm quite surprised that he hasn't complained about the walking distance between rides yet. No self-respecting coaster rider would prefer OTSR's over lap bars especially on a non-looper. TTD and MF are very confortable rides; what's uncomfortable are those ancient wooden and many Arrow seats, but they work. Don't like how the lap bar busts your thighs on Magnum if you don't secure the seat belt though.

Post July 20th, 2011, 6:24 pm
True Addicts
True Addicts

Originally posted by coasterpimp

Also, who wants more restraints like Maverick's? I prefer Millennium Force's and Dragsters over those any day.

Fat people that ruin everything

Post July 20th, 2011, 6:48 pm

Originally posted by Coasterkidmwm

Originally posted by coasterpimp

Fat people that ruin everything

I hate you with a flamin hot passion, just saying.

Post July 20th, 2011, 7:15 pm
True Addicts
True Addicts

Sounds hot

Post July 20th, 2011, 7:46 pm

Points on hand: 1,676.00 Points
Ha, you're still hated, lol. Corn by products are killing us and yes making us fat. I stopped eating "fast food" and dropped 40 pounds, no gym required. At 6'2", some rides are a very tight fit for me.

Anyhoo...I'd like to see a nice twisted wood coaster put in at Cedar. If taking out Mean Streak happened. Sounds like it is kind of like asking SFMM to remove Colossus. Don't think it will happen until it falls apart.

Post July 20th, 2011, 8:35 pm

I hope this validates my argument of Cedar Point: love the rides, hate the park.

Post July 21st, 2011, 12:54 am

Points on hand: 1,676.00 Points
^Exactly how I feel about SFMM, great rides, horrible atmosphere.

Post July 21st, 2011, 1:05 am

Points on hand: 2,704.00 Points
Originally posted by nolimitsfan38

Mabye I don't care.

So you want all of us to suffer because of your bad habits. Sounds pretty selfish to me. Plus the otsr's on maverick killed the ride for me.

Post July 21st, 2011, 1:12 am

OTSR's on Maverick for the very back row, right seat, completely destroy the ride experience unless you actually hold onto them. On the left seat, there are less spontaneous lats so it's fine.

But hey, let's start with OTSR's for all rides, then build them smaller and closer together for less walking. Or maybe the people who can't walk to them get golf carts for free. (But only if they can fit into the seats of said carts; better make over-the-shoulder steering wheels if the normal one is too intrusive. [lol])

Edit: Okay, maybe that was a little mean, but love it, I want OTSR's on my coasters as much as I want OTSSW's on the cars I drive.

Next

Return to Theme Park News & Construction!