Board index Roller Coaster Games Hard Hat Area Strata Project Thread 6/20 Update

Strata Project Thread 6/20 Update

The Hard Hat Area is the place to post construction news about your ride, so this is the place to hype your future upload!

Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
I agree with Mkingy. Might be a bit flange-happy there. I try to envision a crane picking up pieces when I place them. Supports looks great otherwise though.
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Points on hand: 3,123.00 Points
Thanks, definitely adjusting flanges. Looking at modern intamins to gather info on the spacing of them. Nearly done with support work. I have the rear spike actually doing the whole intamin impulse split-second hold. Colors I think are final.

I am curious of what you all think of the supports on the first inversion.

Also, I spent a few days doing new trackwork for a new-gen, 4-across, B&M hyper. I've got a POV and some snaps. I would love to hear any feedback on track shaping, layout, and any B&M specific stylistic concerns you may have with it. I drew most of my layout/shaping inspiration from Fury 325.

I'll be sure to make sure there isn't a bump in that FBR upon release.
Attachments
screenshot-2017-03-08-17-10-42.png
screenshot-2017-03-08-17-11-02.png
screenshot-2017-03-08-17-11-41.png

Updated POV:

Still working through and killing prefabs as I do custom supports.

mkingy User avatar

Points on hand: 28,053.00 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points

Points on hand: 13,491.00 Points
^^ You made me want to watch that POV video sitting on a chair with my feet off the floor, to simulate the B&M "glorious" airtime moments lol! That's amusing! xD
-- I was happy to be with NL1 - [:')] --

Thanks guys! Here's a concept that I've soaked most of my NL time into. Wing coaster featuring a constant radius, 360 roll drop. Layout is short but sweet with a lot of near miss moments and L/R wing focused air time areas. Nearing completion already. Here's some screenies:

Post March 27th, 2017, 9:50 am

^ I say what a great way of getting the ride started with the diving "shallow roll" drop! :D

Post March 27th, 2017, 11:41 am
True Addicts
True Addicts

This reminds me a ton of the green one going up in China right now. Also I like the idea you had for the first drop. At first I was thinking "Silver Bullet much?" and then I noticed it's a roll!

Post March 27th, 2017, 3:01 pm

Thanks guys! ^Referring to Parrot coaster or something different?

Here's the POV. Things are still WIP though:

Here's my newest project: Mega Floorless B&M

Stats:
200ft tall
5472ft long

My mission was to add a few B&M hyper aspects to the floorless design. Ideally the restraints would be modified. I'd like the OTSRs to have only a clamshell styled restraint attached to them. Take a gander, tell me what you think:

I also find your non-inverting elements to be appealing - I like them! You seem to like following the typical B&M "flip flap" track designs, though!

:D Looks fun! :D

True Addicts
True Addicts

Wing coaster looks pretty good, and most importantly safe. Those are easy to screw up.

The floorless is definitely different. Some of the transitions seem a bit odd, but it works.

On a completely different side note: Did you zoom the field of view in a ton? You videos looks a little odd like they're zoomed in a ton, which makes it difficult to see what is going on.

Thanks both of you for the feedback!

Yeah, I do flat FOV to take more natural looking screenshots. I've been forgetting to adjust it back for POVs though.

Modern Intamin Giga, beyond 90 drop, lotta slow entry turns with fierce pullouts.
Feedback appreciated!

***Prefabs in place to determine heights***

Post April 7th, 2017, 9:18 am
True Addicts
True Addicts

Layout looks pretty neat on that, and you didn't drag it out to hell and back like most people do. It reminds me vaguely of the orange and green chinese thing.

Post April 10th, 2017, 12:35 am

^Thanks! But unfortunately, I did end up dragging it out to hell. A few people didn't enjoy the repetitive overbanks and disconnected, flat banking turns, so I ended up re-fvd'ing the whole thing after the first air hill. Its longer now, which is fun but also upsets me, so I actually plan on developing this one and a shorter model for a single release. This new one is 7200ft long, and my shorter model will knock off approximately 1000ft. It is fun though!:

*prefabs in place for testing/pov/not floating purposes*

Post April 10th, 2017, 8:09 am
True Addicts
True Addicts

strata force wrote:
^Thanks! But unfortunately, I did end up dragging it out to hell. A few people didn't enjoy the repetitive overbanks and disconnected, flat banking turns, so I ended up re-fvd'ing the whole thing after the first air hill. Its longer now, which is fun but also upsets me, so I actually plan on developing this one and a shorter model for a single release. This new one is 7200ft long, and my shorter model will knock off approximately 1000ft. It is fun though!:

*prefabs in place for testing/pov/not floating purposes*

You could always you know....build for yourself.

I do like the new layout better, especially since the transitions are a bit faster. It does kind of die on last overbank though. Would a Goliath at Walibi style ending work or no?

Post April 10th, 2017, 6:37 pm

You're right, and I generally do. I think I kept reading the half-positive comments and eventually I just started seeing it through other's eyes. I generally just post up progress and move on to the next ride, but this has felt special so far.

The last over-bank is actually (not to sound silly) a panoramic overbank turn; it kinda matches up with the pace of that render of the inta-mega for energylandia. I do like the idea of the Goliath finale; simple but (visually looking) forceful.

More updates!

So, I lied. Iron Hawk will be a 3-piece endeavor. 3 variations for different purposes. The full layout as presented is the most fantasy/perfect dream giga I imagined. A shorter length model, with most of the same track, but ending near 6200ft, is in the works. And a final, tight-knit, "extreme" inverting variant to fill in at flat parks/parks with limited space and looking for a relatively cheaper giga (5800ft long). I was restless last night, kept coming up with ideas for this layout, so I stayed awake for a few extra hours and developed it before I could forget. So here's the trackwork for Iron Hawk Extreme:

It is very narrow, and that was the idea; enable it to squeeze it in at a number of parks with minimal land modification. I think I was able to combine some of Intamin's most modern ideas into a interesting, compact and fun package.

(intended) Elements in order after drop: late exiting (0g) immelman, speed bump, bunny hill, immelman, half panoramic wave turn into a -0.5g dive, speed bump, half non-inverting loop, twist & dive, speed bump, bunny hill w/fbr trim.

Post April 11th, 2017, 10:29 am
Turbo User avatar

Points on hand: 5,506.00 Points
Bank: 21,857.68 Points

I don't even want to KNOW how much that whole thing would cost lol. Looks fun!
Coaster Count: 582 // Top Five: 1. Helix 2. Nemesis 3. Big Bad Wolf 4. Boulder Dash 5. Balder

Coasterkidmwm wrote:
4 G's to the taint was a bit much for me because I'm not a power bottom like Turbo

Post April 26th, 2017, 10:30 am

I hope that you're doing REALLY well with that "neat" project! :D

Post April 28th, 2017, 3:17 pm

Ahh, I haven't done much. Been swamped with school work and portfolio stuff, finally just finished with that today. I posted in the "what'd you do" thread, but here's the repost of my lifthill work:

Post April 28th, 2017, 9:59 pm
Turbo User avatar

Points on hand: 5,506.00 Points
Bank: 21,857.68 Points

Is it going to be forceful like strata's?
Coaster Count: 582 // Top Five: 1. Helix 2. Nemesis 3. Big Bad Wolf 4. Boulder Dash 5. Balder

Coasterkidmwm wrote:
4 G's to the taint was a bit much for me because I'm not a power bottom like Turbo

Post April 29th, 2017, 8:32 am
mkingy User avatar

Points on hand: 28,053.00 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points

Post April 29th, 2017, 9:04 am
True Addicts
True Addicts

Supports are interesting. They remind me of a cross between the B&M ones and what Intamin did for Hershey and Intimidator 305. Hope everything works out with your career search and your portfolio.

PreviousNext

Return to Hard Hat Area