Board index Theme Park Discussions Theme Park Reviews Storm Chaser Media Day Review

Storm Chaser Media Day Review

Staff approved theme park reviews are posted here. Read the sticky topic for details in posting your reviews.

Post April 28th, 2016, 8:33 pm
XLR8R User avatar
CoasterCrazy Media
CoasterCrazy Media

Points on hand: 3,273.01 Points
Hello peoples,

So, I went to Storm Chaser's media day today. It was pretty awesome. I went on Storm Chaser some 15 or so times, but I didn't keep track since I'm not one of those people who tallies the rides on my arm.

THE REVIEW OF THE COASTER: (The only reason why you are reading this)

Let's start this review with a play-by-play of each of Storm Chaser's elements. No, kids, we're not talking about the periodic table. (What a terrible joke)

The pre-lift: Now, the only other RMC I have been on is Twisted Colossus. That pre-lift (that contains RMC's first launch) has some bunny hills and twisties, but it's surprisingly underwhelming. Storm Chaser's pre-lift gets right to the point! It has some decent laterals and a good view of the old Twisted Sisters footers (ripep).

The lift: It's a lift hill, it's pretty loud and it's pretty noice.

The drop: It offers some decent hang-time in the front and the back seat has a quick snap of ejector airtime before it pulls out. It's not an amazing drop by any means, but it does give a unique sensation.

The first airtime hill: I could feel the gap between by rear and the seat throughout the entirety of the crest of this hill. It offers a great amount of ejector airtime that is easily on El Toro???s level.

The first overbank: The front seat offers a relatively quick transition into it, but it???s a quite underwhelming element when compared to many of the other elements of Storm Chaser.

The first twisty airtime hill: This hill combines insane ejector airtime and a very quick transition in one move that creates an unbelievable experience. One of my front row rides on this hill gave me the most insane amount of ejector airtime that I ever experienced.

The second twisty airtime hill: This hill does not have as much ejector as the airtime hill before it, but it is still an insane element.

The second overbank: Like the first overbank, this element is quite underwhelming compared to other elements.

The second airtime hill: With a full train, this hill easily produces ejector airtime.

The corked zero-G roll: It offers some good hangtime, but there???s nothing exceptional about this element.

Trick Track Double Up: This is quite similar to the first twisty airtime hill where ejector airtime and an extremely quick transition are both experienced simultaneously.

Double Down: In the back row, this element provides a really good amount of ejector, but not so much in the front.

FEAR Helix (That???s actually what Kentucky Kingdom calls it): Honestly, this is the most underwhelming of the underwhelming elements. There really is not much positive G-force and the train goes quite slowly over the elevated banked turn.

The lateral turn into the brake run: Did you expect much?

Overall, this coaster is simply fantastic. Currently, I???m contemplating on whether or not it is my favorite coaster, but it is definitely in my top five. Now, that???s a top ten coaster if I???ve ever seen one. The other RMC coaster that I have been on is Twisted Colossus and I give the slight edge to Storm Chaser. While Twisted Colossus offers better inversions and transitions than Storm Chaser, Storm Chaser clearly beats TwiCo (Twix? Nah, that???s an actual abbreviation of Twisted Colossus) in ejector airtime.

In my 15 or so rides, I found that the difference between a full and nearly empty train is quite significant, especially in the last part of the ride. Also, Storm Chaser performed much better later in the day as it warmed up.

In comparison to Lightning Run: While Lightning Run's finale, that contains four consecutive ejector airtime hills, is hard to beat, Storm Chaser is vicious throughout the entire ride (until the FEAR helix) while Lightning Run's intensity gradually increases to an extremely insane level.

Final statement: If you live anywhere near Kentucky (or in Kentucky!), you should definitely check out STORM CHASER.

Well, that???s a bit of a cliche final statement??? How about this?

If you live on planet Earth, go to Kentucky Kingdom tomorrow!

Check out some photos that I took during Media Day: kentucky-kingdom-2016-t35367-250.html
Storm Chaser | Intimidator 305 | Lightning Run | Twisted Colossus | Maverick | El Toro | Millennium Force | Xcelerator | El Loco | Magnum XL-200
Coaster Count: 154 - Last Credit: Ragin' Cajun (Six Flags America)

Post May 1st, 2016, 6:08 pm

Points on hand: 13,491.00 Points
Excellent Ride Report! :)

Off the topic, why did you put a "thumbs down" icon? ;)
-- I was happy to be with NL1 - [:')] --

Post May 29th, 2016, 1:38 pm
XLR8R User avatar
CoasterCrazy Media
CoasterCrazy Media

Points on hand: 3,273.01 Points
lol240 wrote:
Excellent Ride Report! :)

Off the topic, why did you put a "thumbs down" icon? ;)

Clickbait.
Storm Chaser | Intimidator 305 | Lightning Run | Twisted Colossus | Maverick | El Toro | Millennium Force | Xcelerator | El Loco | Magnum XL-200
Coaster Count: 154 - Last Credit: Ragin' Cajun (Six Flags America)

Post May 29th, 2016, 1:44 pm
Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
So it's more brutal than Maverick?
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Post May 31st, 2016, 10:44 am

^^ :lol:

Anyways what a great ride experience! 8-)

Post June 5th, 2016, 7:19 am

Points on hand: 15,350.90 Points
I like how RMC's make prelifts an actual part of the ride, not just filler segments designed solely to transport the train to the lift. The first drop is very interesting to experience. Just a different kind of fun than the typical airtime-inducing steep drops I like.

Did anyone notice Greezed Lightnin's front car sitting in the window display in front of the Thrill Park Theater? Speaking of which, I've noticed a pattern with some of their past coasters. Any coaster that's ever been introduced to the park that has a regular vertical loop somewhere in the layout was slated for removal at some point. T3 doesn't have any regular vertical loops, and it's still at the park even to this day.

XLR8R wrote:
FEAR Helix (That???s actually what Kentucky Kingdom calls it)

That's a bit of a misnomer. The ride isn't even scary.

Post June 9th, 2016, 4:31 am

^ It IS looking crazy-fun! :)

Post July 19th, 2017, 12:58 am

Points on hand: 74.00 Points

Post July 20th, 2017, 12:58 am

^ Yeah! Wow thanks so much for reading his report! :D

Return to Theme Park Reviews