Board index Public Relations Contests [NL Tournament] Results for round 2

[NL Tournament] Results for round 2

Only official CoasterCrazy.com Contests are posted here.

Post April 17th, 2004, 10:46 am

Points on hand: 3,039.00 Points

I tried to do the judging for this round as fast as I could but I failed doing that [:p] I had test week last week and another test coming up by Monday. Anyway I managed to get them done by now, so here they are [:)]
Note: The overall score is not an average of the other three catagory's, it is also affacted by my personal opinion and extra's on your ride.

All members who did submit a track for this round will be reserves in the next round.

Group 1: Bino-Maus vs. The Edge

Wild One ?????? Bino-Maus
The usual Bino-Maus mixture?????? cool theming but a track that can??????t live up to it.
Technical this ride is quite bad to be honest. The ride shows some problems which are often seen to people who are new to the game, you should really start spending more time on the track so the quality of track and theming will at least be about the same.
The track has two major problems, the first one is the height of it. There is nothing wrong with making a woodie this tall, but you should keep in mind that the taller you make a coaster the more expensive it will be to support it. You keep this track at great height for a long time while the track is relatively boring up there. So it is a huge waste of money which makes it very unrealistic.
The second problem is the banking on the entire ride. First of all the lead in and lead out of about every turn is odd. You start banking for a turn way too early, you just bank the entire hill in front of it so it already has the banking you want it to have before the turn actually starts. It is hard to explain how it should be done but I think you can figure that out yourself, just compare the way you bank with the way Bockzilla or Buster bank their tracks.
On wooden coasters it is usually all about airtime and lateral G??????s. Your track just lacks lateral G??????s because of the overdone bankings. The slow turn you have after the first drop for example, it has a way too big banking. This turn should have had a banking somewhere between 0 and 20 degrees. You just have these banking problems all the time which makes the track look quite unprofessional.

The adrenaline was their, but the pacing of your track was just bad, the ride just feels very controlled and predictable. Just by looking at your layout from top view I can tell it isn??????t very good. It??????s just too much going straight ahead and 90 degree turns. Next time just throw your track all over the place to give it a more ??????out of control?????? feeling

Originality makes up for the other scores a bit. The 3ds theming made this ride stand out from the crowd a bit. Next time you really have to focus on the trackwork because the track doesn??????t feature anything original either.

The extra??????s on this ride were cool but sometimes a bit odd. When you place a 3ds flatride somewhere that is nice, but it just looks dull because there??????s nothing around it. If you have a few rides which sort of theme the entire region of the ride so you actually get the feeling the ride is in a park then it has an effect. But just placing one ride in a corner doesn??????t make it look any better. I think the best thing is to theme the ride itself and don??????t build a whole park around it since it is hard to keep the FPS on an acceptable rate in that case. Oh, one more thing, next time lighten up the fog a bit, and give it some sort of texture, because now it just looks too much like crashing trough a white wall.

Technical: 5
Adrenaline: 6,5
Originality: 7
Overall: 6

Dissident ?????? The Edge
Quite a nice track, but it was nothing more than just another woodie. However the use of backwards operating trains made this track something worth downloading.
Technical this ride was a lot better than your previous one. It does have some minor problems which could easily be fixed again. The problem with this track though is that it just does not feel like a woodie, the layout is not a woodie layout. It??????s just a revved up steel coaster with wooden supports. Maybe woodies are just not your thing [:P]

The adrenaline level was high though, however this ride could have used some more of the typical woodie aspects: lateral G??????s and loads of airtime, however your ride lacks both and is just a banking & speed monster. The pacing also feels odd, it just does not feel like a woodie and when riding it, you don??????t really have the feeling that you are riding something that could actually be built.

The originality score is pretty good since I like the fact that you used the backwards running train. Also the layout is pretty original for a wooden coaster but as you understand that doesn??????t have to be a positive thing.

This track is just not very good but it was good enough to beat Bino??????s. You??????re lucky Bino also did not submit a very good track, because if he did it wouldn??????t have been that hard to beat you. I think you can make a track much better than this one if you try to focus on making it look and feel like a real wooden coaster.

Technical: 6
Adrenaline: 7
Originalty: 8
Overall: 7

Group 2: Buster

Hurricane - Buster

One thing is for sure, a lot of people are not going to agree with me, whatever I say [:p]. In the track exchange people really have mixed ??????feelings?????? about your track.
I don??????t have the original track you submitted anymore because I don??????t have acces to my laptop at the moment. However it was in the exchange with some changes to the theming so I used that for judging. I believe I backed up all tracks on this PC but I don??????t feel like searching, since there is no need for it [:p]

Technical the ride is fine. The track is well built and smooth. I don??????t agree with people who say this track is bad since it wasn??????t build in the classic CCI style. I never said that was the objective of the contest anyway. The G??????s on the track are kept on green all the time which usually is a good thing on steel coasters, but not on woodie??????s. More about this in the adrenaline part of the comment.
The theming was a bit minimal on the version you sent to me. Some things looked a bit odd and like they were not yet completed. However the version from the track exchange was a lot better and solved all these problems, I still do think the station building could have used something in the empty centre. There??????s one more thing about the theming, I think the idea of supporting the ride with this massive stone structure is rather odd. Winds will put massive forces on it and I doubt it would hold up in real life. It does look good though [:p]
Oh, another last thing; the logo you made for it is awesome.

Adrenaline: I think this was the downside of the track. The track was more like a family track but that wasn??????t really the objective. There was almost no airtime at all and also lateral G??????s were missing. Basically the real woodie elements were missing. That??????s not the only thing, I also think the pacing wasn??????t good. The track was just too repetitive, I didn??????t really notice on my first run because I was too busy looking at the insane light effects of the skybox, but I noticed this later on. So the adrenaline was just not all that good. Next time try to pay some more attention to this.

Originality: The track has quite some original elements, nice theming and an original layout. A thing which is important to a track??????s originality score is that it must feel like a one of a kind ride and not like a ride which feels like you??????ve ridden it before. This ride feels like a one of a kind ride so you got a decent score here.

Technical: 8,5
Adrenaline: 6
Originality: 8
Overall: 8

Group 3: cjd vs. Whitewolf2759

Spectre - cjd
This ride was fairly good, but it just lacked something, it feels like many others??????
Technical: On the technical aspect this ride was very good. You were determined to use the classic straight hills and you did well. Like you said in your own track comment, the track has tons of airtime and lateral G??????s. The track itself was a bit rough tough, it had some rough transitions. Now I hear you thinking: do??????h it??????s a woodie! If that is what you??????re thinking that also isn??????t an excuse because most woodies just feel rough because the trains won??????t give you a smooth ride like on a steel coaster.
Next time you should also check up on the supports and modify them where needed. Because you have quite some underpasses some sections of the track became under-supported. You could have extended the structure or replaced a little section by steel beams instead of wooden beams.

Adrenaline: The adrenaline was a strong aspect of this ride. It was packed with adrenaline from the start to the end. It features loads of airtime and good lateral G??????s. The pacing is pretty good to, however not perfect, but this is hard to explain. Maybe making a great pacing with a template like this can??????t be done, but some of your opponent??????s tracks have done better.

Originality: The ride isn??????t very original and just feels like many others like I said before. Next time maybe try doing some theming. I doesn??????t even have to be 3ds. Bockzilla??????s track is a good example of what you can do with support theming to give your track an extra touch without using 3ds. Along with an environment and maybe cartextures you can make you track stand out of the crowd.
The track layout itself is nicely done, the double drop was an original element and the double out and back also is an original touch.

Technical: 8
Adrenaline: 8
Originality: 6
Overall: 7,5

Lotus ?????? Whitewolf2759
You submitted this ride while it wasn??????t done. The fact that it just wasn??????t done put you out of the competition for good now.
Technical: The ride is really bad. It is rough and doesn??????t flow well. There are loads of hits with the other tracks and also with the station near the end. The ride has more problems (like hovering [;)] but it??????s useless to point it out since you know there is a lot wrong with it.

Adrenaline could have been good on this duelling ride, but you didn??????t optimize the duelling effect. On the entire first half of the track you can??????t even see the other train from the train you start your ride in. On the other train (which comes from the more elevated station) this is a bit better but still you can??????t notice the other train when the it travels above it.
Next time when designing a duelling track try to make both tracks exciting and not just one of them.

Originality: I can??????t say the track isn??????t original. I??????ve never seen a track without supports [:p]. The fact that it is a duelling track makes it somewhat original but that??????s about it.

If you finished of the track it might have had a chance of passing to the next round, but it couldn??????t live up to cjd??????s track.

Technical: 4,5
Adrenaline: 7
Originality:6
Overall: 6

Group 4: Bockzilla

As you might have noticed, your track really was stunning [;)]. One thing is for sure, if this was an open contest, you would have won it.
I??????ve been looking at your comments in the exchange just to see what other people think about it. I??????ve read McFly??????s reply and I totally agree with that.

Comment by McFly
\nT: The ride was pretty good for the most part. I like the good steel bracing under the first big helix turnaround that you go under. That is sorely needed, and I'm glad you paid attention to it. I thought some of the lateral bracing stuff looked a bit messy, but that's probably because I prefer the stair-step style. As for the track, it doesn't really take much away from the ride, but it does have some pumping. A lot of the hills pump at the bottoms or over the top, or both. It's not huge, but it's there, and it could've been rid of. Also, there is some pumping in the turns and helices. That's really the worst part. I don't like the pumping, but the track doesn't have too many bumps. There were also some odd banking transitions back and forth.

A: Well, the ride was very fast throughout, and had some awesome air. Some great headchoppers and a tightly packed layout with a lot of tight fits and such. This makes the ride awesome. The MCBR is placed well, but I think it takes too long to get going again after-you go through the slow turnaround, down a slow hill, and then back into a right-hand turn before you really get going again. I'm not sure that the helix first turnaround was really that great of an idea, but it works.

O: Well, I like the usage of the entire template all the while still having a very tightly packed layout. But where you really have the edge is the extra support made walkways, fences, light posts, garbage cans, etc...that stuff was a real treat. Good job.

Bottom line: I really think this could be a 9s rate, but technically it really wasn't one of the best, as the pumping takes away a bit. Other than that, though, this is one great double out-and-back.

I do have a little thing to add. I think the helix sort of thing after the first drop is a bit strange. The track remains at this height for a long time and it doesn??????t add much to the thrill. The higher the track, the more expensive it will be to support, so I think this would be a waste of money when it would be built in real life.

Overall you did a great job and showed everyone what you can do with just supports to give a ride an extra touch. The score I gave is a little higher than McFly??????s because I don??????t really agree on taking that much of for some little pumping.

Technical: 8
Adrenlaine: 8,5
Originality: 9
Overall 8,5

Passed to round 3

• The Edge

• Buster

• cjd

• Bockzilla

Reserves for round 3: Bino-Maus

Congratulations everyone [:)]

Thanks to everyone for participating in this contest. Make sure you check out the result movie as soon as this tounament ends.

Post April 17th, 2004, 11:04 am

Points on hand: 3,503.00 Points
Ok.... I won... cool...

I hope next round I'll have to actually beat someone rather than just winning by default. :-/

Anyway, congrats to all other winners.

Buster.

Post April 17th, 2004, 11:13 am

Originally posted by Buster

Ok.... I won... cool...

I hope next round I'll have to actually beat someone rather than just winning by default. :-/

Anyway, congrats to all other winners.

Buster.

Well I could have placed whitey in your group, but he wanted to compete with the easiest one. So I put him next to cjd since he got the lowest score and it wouldn't matter anyway.
Most likely you'll have someone to compete against in the next round since I don't expect someone will drop out from it. [:)]

Post April 17th, 2004, 11:54 am
bockzilla User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 140.00 Points

Congratulations to all, job well done. Hey wait a minute...is that a screen shot of my coaster in the results pic?[;)] Cool.[:D]Insert I really had fun in this woody challenge and I am looking forward to the next round. Round 3 looks very challenging and it will push all of us to the LIMIT! Best of luck to all in the next round![:)]
If you are going to make a scene, be seen.

Post April 17th, 2004, 1:08 pm

Points on hand: 2,092.00 Points
Bank: 10.00 Points

Post April 17th, 2004, 1:40 pm

Points on hand: 2,083.00 Points

Post April 17th, 2004, 2:14 pm

Points on hand: 3,321.00 Points
to GFA:

You say that my track is unrealistic, but you don't told something about realistic in the rules. So I think that can't be a point where I lost points. Or what do you think?

Bino

Post April 17th, 2004, 6:02 pm

Originally posted by Bino Maus

to GFA:

You say that my track is unrealistic, but you don't told something about realistic in the rules. So I think that can't be a point where I lost points. Or what do you think?

Bino

Actually the objective was to set a new standard for CCI. To build a track which they can sell as a default layout. Like Vekoma's sells the SLC and the boomerang for example.
So the objective was to make something realistic and it almost always is unless otherwise is stated in the comments. Most of the times the only the level of focus on the realism will change, but it always is an important aspect.

Post April 17th, 2004, 8:50 pm

Points on hand: 3,307.00 Points

GFA, what do you mean Whitey's track was rough and didn't flow well, he sent me the track and I have to say its one of the better wooden tracks I've seen. The smoothness was fine besides the straight hills...you said this was a CCI contest, so I don't see why you would take off points for having the ride true to CCI style. Sorry, but I think if you would take off points for characteristics of a real CCI coaster then you should've studied real CCIs and other wooden coasters before hosting this contest, as you seem to not know much about about them.

Post April 18th, 2004, 5:54 am

Points on hand: 3,321.00 Points

Post April 18th, 2004, 5:08 pm

Originally posted by IntaminFan397

GFA, what do you mean Whitey's track was rough and didn't flow well, he sent me the track and I have to say its one of the better wooden tracks I've seen. The smoothness was fine besides the straight hills...you said this was a CCI contest, so I don't see why you would take off points for having the ride true to CCI style. Sorry, but I think if you would take off points for characteristics of a real CCI coaster then you should've studied real CCIs and other wooden coasters before hosting this contest, as you seem to not know much about about them.

I agree the building technique of whitey's track was pretty good. But it just had a load of little flaws, like the hits. I can't give someone a good rating on the technical aspect with ratings like this.
I said it was pretty rough and you also say it was rough in the straight sections. So we both think it is rough... then pacing/flow is something which involves a personal opinion. You think it is good, I don't think it is very good.
I admit I don't know that much about woodies and you probably know a lot more about them from what I've heard you saying about them so far. My intention with this contest was not to let people built in the typical CCI straight hill style. Because my knowledge about woodies is too limited to be able to judge if a coaster is a "real" CCI.
The whole CCI thing was just a story, CCI was in the story because you had to work with PTC trains which usually run on CCI tracks. That's the whole deal, I never said you had to do it in CCI style.
I also didn't take off points for the straight hills... They were just rough and that's why I took of a bit. Your track also used the straight hills and it was smooth and I didn't take of points for that, did I? I only said it was good and I gave you credit for doing it.

The comment on whitewolf's track may have been a bit harsh but the track wasn't done and whitewolf also knows some things had to be fixed, so why would I write a long comment explaining things he already knows and let the others wait even longer for the results?

I hope this explains some things.

Post April 19th, 2004, 4:12 pm

Points on hand: 2,149.00 Points

Post April 20th, 2004, 12:24 pm

Points on hand: 2,363.00 Points
Sorry Buster,GFA and everyone in the competition for dropping out but could not find the time to finish track,only managed to complete half.Good luck all!

Return to Contests