Board index Public Relations Contests 2006 NL Tournament (FINALS) - Results pg9

2006 NL Tournament (FINALS) - Results pg9

Only official CoasterCrazy.com Contests are posted here.

Post September 17th, 2006, 10:39 am

Points on hand: 2,837.21 Points
Bank: 6,969.69 Points

Post September 17th, 2006, 9:00 pm
cjd

Points on hand: 4,718.00 Points

Ratings are done, and I'm posting them. Looking back, I can't believe that it took me so damn long. I don't know what is wrong with me. Hopefully my sabatical will help me get back on track so that I can return and be a good host again. Anyway, here come the ratings:

Post September 17th, 2006, 10:03 pm
cjd

FINALS RESULTS:

Well, this is the end. It's been months of building (and waiting????????? oops.), intense battles galore, and some truly amazing coasters. With an arsenal of ?????????Goliath?????????, ?????????SpeedMonster?????????, ?????????Black Mamba?????????, and ?????????The Voyage????????? supplying the templates for this year, it truly was a battle of skill, versatility, and outright adrenaline madness.

When it all came down to it, this ended up as a battle of dcs221 versus Wing-Over. Both coasters were wonderful, and it was a somewhat tight race. Unfortunate_smiley is the clear third place winner, with Mikado finishing fourth after not submitting a track. So, it's time to crunch the numbers and see whose coaster reined supreme.

?????????Artemis????????? ????????? (dcs221)

Very nice coaster. It was a little rough around the edges, due mostly to time constraints as you mentioned, but the originality more than made up for it. This one was simply fantastic in the originality department, and had some seriously wicked outer-banked surprises. Adrenaline was great as always, so it ended up being technical which made this a close battle with Wing-Over. So, anyway, on to the details.

Technical:
This was the letdown on this coaster, as lots of banking transitions were very abrupt. This was especially noticeable in the end, where the train was whipping through the entrances to the turns quite abruptly. It just needed a bit of smoothing, but was overall still very good. Also, there was some minor pumping in some of the elements however minimal. These all seemed to be time related, so I do look forward to riding the finished version of the coaster. Anyway, that is really the only thing wrong in technical. The 20.5 seconds of airtime passed that requirement, train operation was smooth, and the ride capacity was more than enough. G forces were in check aside from being slightly abrupt in the end, which was quite an accomplishment amongst the crazy elements this track went through. This was a very good job overall that just needed a touch more work on smoothing in a couple places. 9.0/10 in shaping. My only gripe was on the supports for the turn leading to the drop. It was slightly under-supported, and would create potential strain problems. .25 off there.

Adrenaline:
Awesome! This coaster was huge, with wonderful randomness in the elements and a great sensation of speed throughout. The pacing was non-stop butt-kicking intensity. The most boring part of this ride was the 90 degree banked turns. And when that is the least interesting part of a ride, you know you've done something right. I have nothing more to say. This was one of the best paced coasters in the whole contest, and definitely in the round. It was fast, had great big elements and small elements, the speed and shifts in lateral and air forces were random, intense, and absolutely nonstop. It was almost too much????????? just like The Voyage. Not much you could do to improve this, but just about as close to a perfect as you can get with a whopping 12.5 out of 13 points.

Originality:
WOW! Without a doubt, this was a 10. The whole ride took me by complete surprise, not knowing what was coming, what forces each element would have, or how it would be shaped. Everything was so random, so original, and taken at such intensity that nothing short of a 10 would give it credit. The original elements were great, with the trick track hill, outerbanked elevated hill, tunnel/hill/tunnel combo, outerbanked first drop, 90 degree hill, and all of the wonderfully intense turns and banks. Terrain use was fantastic with the coaster never losing speed from start to finish, and saving the most intense turns for the end. No bonus points for the supports, though, since they were completely done by Wood Magic aside from the transforming part. It didn't matter in this case, though, since you already had a 10/10 and the supports were just bonus.

Technical: 8.75/10 Adrenaline: 12.5/13 Originality: 10/10 Points: 31.25/33 (9.47/10)

?????????Kodiak????????? ????????? (Wing-Over)

For your first woodie, this was fantastic. It wasn't as insane as dcs?????????s, but it was still very fast, had some good elements, and was much smoother than the other 2 entries.

Technical:
A couple minor tugs cost you a fraction of a point, the rest was completely perfect. Enough said. There was an error in overall style, but this cost you in the adrenaline and originality categories, not in technical since they were technically perfect. I do have one other thing to say, though????????? be more careful with the contest requirements next time. There was EXACTLY 18 seconds of airtime. A tick less and you would have been disqualified. 9.75/10 with no deductions.

Adrenaline:
Here is where the problem was. There were several turns with no lateral g?????????s whatsoever. That is reserved for steel coasters, and certainly has no place in this style of wood coaster. The real problem was the shaping, though. The turns were all way too wide and sweeping, leaving the coaster with a predictable feeling and a general lack of the ?????????insane????????? feeling that is required for a good wood coaster. You had some quick transitions, in the entrance to the 90 degree turn and in one of the last turns before the end. That is how it is done, and I wish you had put more of that sudden left-right outbanked and twisted hill pattern throughout the coaster rather than in just a couple of random places. The pacing wasn't bad, though. It was pretty fast, only feeling slightly slow in the second tunnel and the first few hills. The sequencing is really where the problem was, without the randomness GG-style woodies need. Just work on leaving the prefect banking and sweeping turns behind and you have potential to make good wood coasters in the future.

Originality:
The little pop of outerbanked hill before the 90 degree turn was fantastic, executed just as well as on my favorite part of ?????????The Voyage?????????. The diving turn off the third hill was really cool, and the banking transitions through the first tunnel were good as well. I also liked the first turnaround, since it was taken at fantastic speed even though I would have liked a bit less banking. Then, on the return trip, there just wasn't much to be exited about. The layout was straight, the turns were mostly big and sweeping, and there were no original elements. It needed to be mixed up a lot more than it was in the middle. From the first tunnel through the turnaround was good, and the finale was good, but everything else needed mixing up. Still, it wasn't a disaster, just needing a bit more work. The supports were indeed steel, and there were a few extra touches like the headchoppers and the diagonal braces along with just a touch of custom wides. It was still missing the handrails and wood base beams, but still half a point extra for the good work.

Technical: 9.75/10 Adrenaline: 10/13 Originality: 8.25/10 Points: 28/33 (8.48)

?????????Freebird????????? ????????? (unfortunate_smiley)

The shaping was completely sub-par, and that alone knocked you out of contention. Supports needed severe work too. The adrenaline was very nice, though, with good pacing and great airtime. It might have stood a chance if it was better shaped.

Technical:
Big problems here. First off, the banking transitions and overall shaping were really bad. There was awful pumping through the entire ride, and the shaping of the transitions resulted in some powerful lats going in the wrong direction. The keys to doing smooth, pumpless hand-built transitions are as follows: make sure that there is approximately 1 vertex per 90 degrees of turning, place the vertex handles such that they are tangents to the track and don't cross over it, and make sure that the radiuses of the elements are either constant or gradually tightening or widening. The other big issue was the supports. There were no lateral braces on any of the supports, which would surely result in complete support failure. Not even the turns had lateral bracing, and the coaster definitely needed them. 7/10 in shaping, minus 1.25 points for the complete support failure. The 25 seconds of airtime were well above the requirements, and the capacity was fine as well.

Adrenaline:
Not bad. The pacing was good, with speed mostly maintained through the course and good airtime, but it wasn't anywhere near the insane level that dcs achieved. There were some surprises, with the double-ups and small pops of outside banking, but it still needed more variety to get a top score. The hills were mostly straight, and most of them had the same kind of airtime as well. The lack of rapid intense transitions and unexpectedness held the adrenaline down. Plain and simple, just tweak and style the coaster some more.

Originality:
Standard GG-style stuff here with the 90 degree turns and random pops of outerbanking. The third hill was interesting, but that was pretty much the only truly original part. You needed more randomness, more transitions, and more lateral g?????????s that were to the appropriate side of the turn. There?????????s not really much else that I can say about this coaster?????????s originality, because there really wasn't much to be excited about in this department aside from the one or two outerbanked pops and the mediocre 90-degree turns. Too many straight hills, mostly long sweeping turns, and not enough randomness. Also, no bonus for the weak support job.

Technical: 5.75/10 Adrenaline: 9.75/13 Originality: 7.5/10 Points: 23/33 (6.97)

FINAL RESULTS:

Dcs221, with his amazing coasters ?????????Artemis?????????, ?????????Aiolos?????????, ?????????Diavolezza?????????, and ?????????High Heat?????????, is the champion of the 2006 NL Tournament. He joins Buster, Bockzilla, and Whitewolf2759 in the list of champions.

FINAL STANDINGS:

1. dcs221 (9.47) wins a platinum medal, 10,000 slappin????????? points, and $50
2. Wing-Over (8.48) wins 5,000 slappin????????? points and a silver contest medal
3. unfortunate_smiley (6.97) wins 2,000 slappin????????? points and a bronze contest medal
4. Mikado (DNS) wins 1,000 slappin????????? points
5. Jimmy Yoshi (500 pts)
6. Real (500 pts)
7. Thorazine (500 pts)
8. MF2001 (500 pts)
9. delousedcoma (100 pts)
10. Matt (100 pts)
11. coasterteddy (100 pts)
12. tracksix (100 pts)
13. Iron Man (100 pts)
14. screamomatic (100 pts)
15. Jakizle (100 pts)
16. myriad (100 pts)
17. ragan
18. Medusaboy47
19. topdrag
20. bigbadben1000
21. minicoopertx
22. hyyyper
23. coasterguy77
24. krazyt
25. pdonahue
26. Sobek
27. Blader3595
28. Sio
29. Tanks4me
30.(tie) Dragon Fly
30.(tie) drummerkid
30.(tie) EElover2
30.(tie) gazag
30.(tie) SixFlagsOverTexas

BONUS CONTEST AWARDS!!!

Best Track:
?????????Artemis????????? by dcs221

Best Non-Elementary Track:
?????????Dragon????????? by Real

Best Steel Coaster:
?????????Diavolezza????????? by dcs221

Best Technical Coaster:
?????????Howitzer????????? by Wing-Over

Best Adrenaline Coaster:
(tie) ?????????Oxygen????????? by coasterteddy
(tie) ?????????Diavolezza????????? by dcs221
(tie) ?????????Aiolos????????? by dcs221
(tie) ?????????Artemis????????? by dcs221

Best Original Coaster:
?????????Artemis????????? by dcs221

Most Surprising Designer:
Mikado ????????? (first contest, and made the finals! Great job, man.)

Biggest Upset:
Unfortunate_smiley defeats coasterteddy, who got an adrenaline award, in Round 2

Biggest Blowout:
?????????Dcs221????????? versus ?????????Matt????????? in round 2, ended with a 1.29 point difference between the tracks

Closest Match:
?????????Mikado????????? versus ?????????Iron Man????????? in round 2, ended in a tie.

Engineer Award:
Wing-Over, for getting a 9.5 or higher in technical every single round

Lucky Dog Award:
Unfortunate_smiley, for getting into finals because Real and MF2001 did not submit
Jimmy Yoshi, for getting into Round 3 because the #1 seed did not submit

Overall Achievement Award:
Dcs221, for pushing the boundaries of adrenaline three rounds in a row

Congrats to everyone, and I hope to see you all in the next official site contest!

Post September 17th, 2006, 10:06 pm
cjd

dsc221, PM me with a way to send you your cash prize
dcs221 & Wing-Over, you will recieve your medals once your tracks are posted on the exchange.

Post September 17th, 2006, 10:08 pm

Points on hand: 4,378.00 Points

Post September 17th, 2006, 10:12 pm

Points on hand: 1,916.00 Points

Congrats DCS! You just won me 2000 points. [pshades].

And why didn't I win biggest blowout! heheh.

Post September 17th, 2006, 10:18 pm

Points on hand: 2,837.21 Points
Bank: 6,969.69 Points
Thanks cjd, and congratulations to the rest of the designers for putting up some great competition. Wing Over and unfortunate smiley, you really made me work in the last round, which shows how competitive each of you were...I definately made sure not to underestimate either of you. It's been fun!

Also, HUGE thank you to PersianLombax and Wing Over for some *sweet* tunnelage in the last two rounds. Jimmy Yoshi, sweet footer texture man. You guys came through big.

Thanks to Woodie Man and AMD for the help on supporting Artemis, came at a time when I had a test coming up very soon (the day after that track was due) and no time to work on the track.

Thanks to all those who lended support throughout the entire contest through AIM. Hansixx, ragan, Jakizle, Coasterkidmwm, Persian, and others... if I'm missing you, let me know and I'll fix the list up.

Post September 17th, 2006, 10:25 pm
cjd

Jakizle, you'll have to wait another 14 hours or so before I work on the results from the brackets. I have sleep, work, and class, so I'm going to bed. Cya tomorrow...

Post September 18th, 2006, 12:27 am

Points on hand: 1,843.00 Points

Congrats dcs, you really earned this one.

And thanks cjd for doing all the ratings, even if they were a bit late. I've learned a lot from this contest, especially this round.

Post September 18th, 2006, 1:40 pm

Points on hand: 1,209.00 Points
Congrats dcs, though I am not surprised [;)].

Thanks to CJD for the rate (although I must admit I'm a little disappointed with my numbers... (I really need to shape up my tech scores, they're killing me!)). Still, I am very happy with my finish this year. I never thought I'd make it this far. I've seen quite an inprovement in my tracks, and I can't wait to get started on some solo projects.

Finally, thanks to all competitors, mods, and everyone else who made this contest fun. I'll see you all next contest!

Post September 18th, 2006, 1:57 pm

Points on hand: 872.00 Points
So, when does the next version of the contest start? I would love to be judge, since I have way to much useless freetime!

Post September 18th, 2006, 2:06 pm

Points on hand: 2,931.00 Points
Congrats to Dcs, Wing-Over and Unfortunate smiley :D now when will we see these rides on the exchange!

Post September 18th, 2006, 3:23 pm
Oscar User avatar
Founding Member
Founding Member

Points on hand: 11,527.60 Points
Bank: 187,052.60 Points

Originally posted by RCT-3-Crazy

So, when does the next version of the contest start? I would love to be judge, since I have way to much useless freetime!

next year around the same time or so. Only staff can be judges for this as it is the pinnacle of contests [:)]
Support Us! - Click Here To Donate $5 Monthly!
Paradox wrote:
No need to tell Oscar about the problems. He is magic.

Previous

Return to Contests