Board index Public Relations Contests 2006 NL Tournament (FINALS) - Results pg9

2006 NL Tournament (FINALS) - Results pg9

Only official CoasterCrazy.com Contests are posted here.

cjd

Points on hand: 4,718.00 Points

2006 WWS/CC.COM NoLimits Tournament (FINALS)

Well, this is it. After 4 months of track building, 64 competitors, and three intense rounds of track building, it is all down to this... the final showdown. And what better way to celebrate the biggest contest in WWS.com history than with a template based on arguably the most insane coaster ever built? That's right... this round is inspired by "The Voyage". It's up to the finalists to build an insane Gravity Group style wood coaster on a heavily wooded hillside derived from the terrain of Holiday World. A platinum medal, 10,000 slappin' points, and the first cash prize in site history are on the line, so good luck to all!

DOWNLOAD THE TEMPLATE HERE:
http://www.weeweeslap.com/users/cjd/2K6_Finals_Template.nltrack

THE RULES:

The template is your playground in this round. The entire hilly template, aside from the lower left hand corner (Splashin' Safari), is wide open for some intense twisted wooden elements. The biggest restriction in this round is that the coaster has to contain lots and lots of airtime... 18 seconds or more to be exact. This round is all about the adrenaline, though. A good coaster in this round must be completely out-of-control, and use the terrain to its full extent in order to grab top marks. Judging will be 10 points for each or technical and originality, with up to 13 points for adrenaline.

• Track Style must be 'Wood Coaster (Classic 4-seat)'
  • No track may cross over the red line in the lower left corner of the template
  • The coaster must contain at least 18 seconds of airtime. (look in the Q/A section for information on how this will be determined)
  • Each coaster must contain at least 3 tunnels, above or below ground
  • Only one lift hill may be used (no launches)
  • The station building must be entirely contained within the blue "X"
  • Each coaster must have a ride capacity of at least 1200 riders per hour. (Any train configuration may be used to achieve this.)
  • Terrain can be modified only for trenches, tunnels, and minor landscaping
  • G Forces should be kept under 4.5 vertical, 1.8 lateral, and -1.5 airtime (no disqualifications for this, but points will be taken off)
  • Extra points will be added for scenery, realistic steel GG-style supports, good use of the terrain, and for any original elements.
  • All tracks must be submitted by 11:59:59pm WWS-ST on Monday, July 17th
  • Send finished tracks to cjd@muskingum.edu or post them on the exchange with a "(Round 4)" tag, and please post a link in this topic.
  • Once a design is posted on the exchange, it is accepted as your final design. If you send a track through e-mail, you may re-submit as often as you like.

Have Fun, and Good Luck!

THE CONTESTANTS:

Mikado

Wing-Over

unfortunate_smiley

dcs221

Green = Recieved Track
Orange = Problem with track file
White = Have Not Recieved Track
Red = Dropped Out
Image = final track submitted

Questions & Answers

If you have any questions you can post them in this topic. I will try to answer your question A.S.A.P. Your question and the answer will be posted under this header.

Q: How will the airtime requirement be tabulated?
A: First off, airtime readings will be taken from the forward seat closest to the exact middle of the train. Airtime will be defined as any moment with vertical g forces of 0.1 or less. In order to obtain accurate readings, the coaster's speed will be turned down to 25% then divided by four after a final number is obtained, and a stopwatch will keep track of total airtime.

FINAL STANDINGS:

1-4. Still Competing...
5. Jimmy Yoshi (500 pts)
6. Real (500 pts)
7. Thorazine (500 pts)
8. MF2001 (500 pts)
9. delousedcoma (100 pts)
10. Matt (100 pts)
11. coasterteddy (100 pts)
12. tracksix (100 pts)
13. Iron Man (100 pts)
14. screamomatic (100 pts)
15. Jakizle (100 pts)
16. myriad (100 pts)
17. ragan
18. Medusaboy47
19. topdrag
20. bigbadben1000
21. minicoopertx
22. hyyyper
23. coasterguy77
24. krazyt
25. pdonahue
26. Sobek
27. Blader3595
28. Sio
29. Tanks4me
30.(tie) Dragon Fly
30.(tie) drummerkid
30.(tie) EElover2
30.(tie) gazag
30.(tie) SixFlagsOverTexas
Last edited by cjd on September 17th, 2006, 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post July 2nd, 2006, 1:06 am

Points on hand: 2,837.21 Points
Bank: 6,969.69 Points
Sounds good. I hope I have time to complete a good track.

Post July 2nd, 2006, 1:07 am

Points on hand: 3,189.00 Points

I can't even imagine the insane tracks the fnalists are going to produce. This is going to be one hell of a round!

I'm going to try and make a track for this that follows all the rules, even though im not in the contest, so i have one question. How do you make steel supports for woodies?

Post July 2nd, 2006, 1:11 am
cjd

Edit:

Oops, posted the wrong deadline.

For anyone looking, the correct deadline is Monday, the 17th of July, not the 20th. I got 15 and 18 mixed up...

Post July 2nd, 2006, 1:18 am

Points on hand: 1,843.00 Points

Oh man, my first woodie. At least it's a GG, I think that's the only style I have a real chance with. A few questions, though just to clear a few things up.

When you say tunnels, do they have to be the default NL tunnels, or can they be 3ds?

Can trees be moved/deleted?

Is it the station building this time, not the track?

Post July 2nd, 2006, 1:21 am
cjd

A1: 3ds tunnels do count

A2: Yeah, you can drop/move the trees. they're just there for realistic template decoration since there is a forest there IRL.

A3: It's the building this time. The "X" is rather large, so I figured that finding enough space would be easy enough.

BTW, the big goal of this round was to drop the restrictive boundaries of the first 3 rounds, and let the great surviving designers have a good ol' fashioned slugfest.

Post July 2nd, 2006, 1:29 am
cjd

Originally posted by coasterguy77

So i have one question. How do you make steel supports for woodies?

Here's the linky on steel GG supports.
http://www.coastercrazy.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8937

By the way, to anyone who does not want to make a custom environment just to show the supports...I've got Real's CCI environment installed, so just set it as the default and I'll be able to see it.

Post July 2nd, 2006, 11:16 am

Points on hand: 3,189.00 Points

Is there any way to make it that the supports stay on the ground instead of going underground?

Post July 2nd, 2006, 12:17 pm

cjd, what formula are you going to be using for calculating the riders per hour?

Post July 3rd, 2006, 12:00 am
cjd

Same one I always do...

Sitting in the second train, I will start the timer as soon as it leaves the station and stop as soon as it leaves again. The result is the "circuit time".

RPH will equal:

(Circuit Time) / 60 mins * (# of trains) * (# of riders per train)

Post July 4th, 2006, 2:42 pm

This is turning out to be even harder than I thought. I've got the basic layout I want in my head, but it's still really hard for me to get used to the GG style. It still feels like a steel coaster, just with a bit less banking. Don't expect anything spectacular from me. My plan is just to make it as fast as possible, so far it's all above 60kph (Except for a split second on the first hill) and the rest is around 70 to 90. Over 100kph in some of the lower parts. I'm still finding this the most challenging round, even if it does have the least restricting template. Woodies just don't come naturally to me.

Post July 4th, 2006, 4:22 pm

Points on hand: 1,152.00 Points
This round is gonna be very hard for me.. Not because of the time limit, nor because of the rules, but because of my PC. This one is about 1 year old, so my hard- & software is up-to-date. But I just can't view woodies in my simulator [confused]I really tried everything; new drivers, an environment were the wooden track and supports are invisible but the same thing always happens again; freeze and reboot.
The only thing I can do is build this round 100% in editor mode [:D] This is going to turn out like a very special ride. To make it even more special, I called my ride 'Never-ending emperor of cheese' [xx(]

Post July 4th, 2006, 4:31 pm

Points on hand: 62.00 Points

Post July 4th, 2006, 4:54 pm
GRIM.657 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 5,299.00 Points

Originally posted by Mikado

To make it even more special, I called my ride 'Never-ending emperor of cheese' [xx(]

IMO you should win just cuz of that name...

Post July 5th, 2006, 1:45 am
cjd

This round is gonna be very hard for me.. Not because of the time limit, nor because of the rules, but because of my PC. This one is about 1 year old, so my hard- & software is up-to-date. But I just can't view woodies in my simulator [confused]I really tried everything; new drivers, an environment were the wooden track and supports are invisible but the same thing always happens again; freeze and reboot.
The only thing I can do is build this round 100% in editor mode [:D] This is going to turn out like a very special ride. To make it even more special, I called my ride 'Never-ending emperor of cheese' [xx(]

If you can't view woodies in the sim, I reccomend using the LIM launched coaster as a test model. It paces about the same as a PTC 4-seat... so just design the coaster, and then switch the type to LIM launched in order to take the test runs in the sim.

Post July 8th, 2006, 2:44 pm

Thanks for that advise CJD! It's working really well. But the friction is only the same when using 7 cars.. Am I lucky that's the usual number of cars!
About my ride, 90% of the layout is done, and I got 75 seconds of airtime in 25% speed, that's a little bit more dan 18 seconds in 100%. But I'm having some problems with the ending: I want the out-of-control-feeling like on the Voyage, but I'm losing speed [:(] Maybe I should erase the pre-lift, and lower the station a bit, so I can use all my speed?
I'm a bit curious at the other contestant's coasters? *hint [:D]

Post July 8th, 2006, 3:53 pm

I'm a bit curious at the other contestant's coasters? *hint [:D]
I'm not going to post screenshots, but I'll say a little about my ride. Starts with a simple prelift, then a 64m tall lift hill. Then a large ejector hill, followed by a sustained floater hill, twisting to the right into an underground tunnel. After a few twists and a bit of airtime in the tunnel, you come out into another floater airtime hill (I love the parhat formula) which twists into a short twister section, with a 90 degree banked turn at the end. It then leads back in the same direction as the tunnel, and travels through it in a similar way. At the end you come out and turn to the left, and then get a short ejector hill. Then comes an MCBR, and that's all I've got so far. I haven't had much time this week, so hopefully I'll be able to get the rest done before the deadline.

Post July 9th, 2006, 1:51 am

Points on hand: 4,906.00 Points

honestly I don't think I've seen anyone here but Real be able to build something close to a GG, and that was when he made a CCI, so this is gonna be pretty interesting

Post July 9th, 2006, 2:58 am

Post July 9th, 2006, 3:17 am

^ I was just gonna say. If your entry is anywhere as near as good as Onslaught, I don't think any of us stand a chance.

Post July 9th, 2006, 3:22 am

Hey it's still a competition so there's no way I'm just sitting back and being satisfied with having made one good GG lol, because I know I'm up against some good competitors and anything can happen.

Post July 9th, 2006, 5:36 pm

Just finished the trackwork! [:D] A few quick stats about the final thing:

Height: 64m
Top speed: 109kph
Average speed: 75kph (After lift, of course)
Length: 2060m

I'll post somescreenshots tomorrow, when I've got some supports done.

Post July 10th, 2006, 12:32 pm

My track is done too, but GEESH, Is is just me or do you all need a LOT of custom supporting? I think I'll have to modify each single support on my ride [:D]
My stats:
Height: 62 m.
Max. height elevation (first drop): 68 m.
Top speed: 127 km/h
Length: 2080 m. (lol @ wingover[:D])

I'll show some screens later this evening, too

Post July 11th, 2006, 9:56 am

K, here you go, I'm not showing to much as it's a contest, you know[^]Most of the screens show the supporting.. http://www.nolimitsdevcenter.net/p2224

Post July 11th, 2006, 3:13 pm

Sorry I took a day longer than I said, the supports turned out to be more work than I originally thought. Here's my ride's construction topic:
http://www.weeweeslap.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12754

Next

Return to Contests