Board index Roller Coaster Games Hard Hat Area Barracuda (Update: Almost Completed!)

Barracuda (Update: Almost Completed!)

The Hard Hat Area is the place to post construction news about your ride, so this is the place to hype your future upload!

Post October 9th, 2005, 9:29 am

Points on hand: 1,843.00 Points

I thaught I might advertise this project here too... might get a few more responses, or at least get to know this site better. Anyway, Barracuda is a realistic B&M out & back style hyper coaster, that features 6 Airtime hills, along 10 moments of Airtime in total. I really tried to sort out the transitons for this coaster, and I'm pretty sure they're the best I've done. (I'll be uploading some of my older rides here fairly soon so you'll be able to compare) There are, however, some other transitions that I'm not so sure about, and for this I'll need some testers to answer that, and also some other questions I have about this ride. I'll give more details to anyone who volunteers. Thanks a lot.
Last edited by Wing-Over on October 24th, 2005, 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post October 9th, 2005, 11:18 am

Points on hand: 1,751.00 Points
after seeing your first ride i think, no i dont think, i know this will be awsome[:D]

Post October 11th, 2005, 12:41 pm

Update: I've uploaded some early screenshots (link below) for anyone who's interested. I still need some testers for this track, BTW.

http://nldc.interfix.net/p1102

Post October 11th, 2005, 3:31 pm

Points on hand: 2,931.00 Points

Post October 11th, 2005, 3:44 pm

Dude, I haven't even done the supports yet. Scenery is a long way off at the moment. Although, Probably no more theming than a custom station buliding, queue lines, fences and custom tunnels (All made out of supports). Maybe a bit of 3ds if I decide to have some underground tunnels, but that's about it.

Post October 11th, 2005, 4:18 pm

Post October 16th, 2005, 3:52 am

Update: The first half of the ride (Up to the MCBR) has been redone. It's now slightly smoother, has better transitions, but most noticibly, it now has the addition of an Stengel Dive

Post October 16th, 2005, 3:54 am

Points on hand: 1,469.00 Points

Post October 17th, 2005, 4:34 pm

How is that an overbank??? Thats definatly a stengal dive. Its looks good and smooth too

Post October 17th, 2005, 5:02 pm

Points on hand: 3,780.00 Points
Originally posted by SFMM homie

Not really a stengel dive. Its just an overbank.

Agreed. This is a Stenel Dive:

Image Insert:
57.63 KB

Post October 17th, 2005, 5:19 pm

Points on hand: 5,801.00 Points

This is actually the stengel dive on Goliath;
http://rcdb.com/ig1565.htm?picture=50
http://rcdb.com/ig1565.htm?picture=48

I would say that Wing Over's element is a Stengel dive. In general terms a stengel dive is an overbank, which is what Wing Over has made. It just doesn't look exactly like Goliath's. It is just like how not all corkscrews, loops, cobra rolls etc look the same.

Post October 22nd, 2005, 11:01 am

Update: The second half of the ride has been completed. I've removed the left to right hill, because whatever I tried I couldn't get the lats under +-1. It's been replaced with an Airtime hill that twists from one side to another at the start and end, giving a very disorientating feel to the end of the ride.
I've also made a start on a custom station and added my own catwalks to the lift. Depending on how long the supports take, the release could be early next week.

Post October 22nd, 2005, 11:05 am

Points on hand: 1,916.00 Points

looks nice...like the custom cat wals i still have trouble with supports and ive hade NL for 3 weeks now LOL

Post October 22nd, 2005, 11:08 am
hyyyper User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 9,207.00 Points
Originally posted by Fornication Nation

This is actually the stengel dive on Goliath;
http://rcdb.com/ig1565.htm?picture=50
http://rcdb.com/ig1565.htm?picture=48

I would say that Wing Over's element is a Stengel dive. In general terms a stengel dive is an overbank, which is what Wing Over has made. It just doesn't look exactly like Goliath's. It is just like how not all corkscrews, loops, cobra rolls etc look the same.

i though i read somewhere that the angle a stengel dive makes should be larger than 90*, otherwise it's just an overbank

Post October 22nd, 2005, 11:20 am

Points on hand: 3,059.00 Points
For what, what makes the Stengel Dive a Stengel dive and not just an overbank is the fact that it only turns to the left or the right no more than probably 90 degrees. It can bank over as much as it wants, its evident that the real one goes beyond 90. But most "overbanks" take more than a 90 degree turn.

I also think its how you enter and exit it.

Wing-Over - Those colors look GREAT! Just dont use that purple for the supports that I see on the catwalk. That totally ruins the great blue and red you have goin.

Post October 22nd, 2005, 3:24 pm

Points on hand: 3,535.00 Points
looks good, very realistic IMO.... i like the colors as well

Post October 23rd, 2005, 2:06 am

I think the purple goes quite well with the red. The blue on the trains is meant to stand out, not be part of the main colour scheme.

Post October 23rd, 2005, 2:27 am

Points on hand: 3,059.00 Points
You guys need some art classes... lol I just think it clashes hardcore. Not one color stands out because each one is trying to overtake the other. Theres no identity to the scheme. What do you remember? the track? the supports?

I know I know...I get deep. But hey, it helps set a coaster apart and make it memorable.

If you guys ever need help on choosing colors, heres a good guide:
http://www.easyrgb.com/harmonies.php

Put in a hue and it gives you a set of harmonies to go with it.

Post October 24th, 2005, 10:33 am

Update: The supports have been completed, along with terrain and most of the scenery. Just a few finishing touches to add, and if all goes as planned, the release could either be some time today or tomorrow.
As far as the colour scheme goes, I'm keeping the red & purple. IMO, it's a simple, realistic, distinct colour scheme that afaik hasn't been used on any real B&M. Although I do agree now that the blue on the trains dosen't match the rest of the coaster, so if anyone's got any better suggestions for it then I'd be happy to hear them.

Return to Hard Hat Area